Advertisements
identify this..

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2013, 08:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default identify this..

Hi, today i have replaced the front tires and discovered this thing.. attached pic
its the same on the left and right side, i believe its the control arm..
is it normal to be like this?

am experiencing steering wheel shaking when speed is more than 30 miles and i push the brakes, and i was told its the rotors.. can this be the problem instead of the rotors??

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (16.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (15.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 07 Jul 2013, 09:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: identify this..

They look ripped.

Have rotors turned and make sure you watch the monkeys use a torque wrench to re-install wheels!!
Old 07 Jul 2013, 11:32 pm
Banned

Where is the bushing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci View Post
Hi, today i have replaced the front tires and discovered this thing.. attached pic

am experiencing steering wheel shaking when speed is more than 30 miles and i push the brakes, and i was told its the rotors.. can this be the problem instead of the rotors??

Thanks for any advice.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 12:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: identify this..

Your rear isolator bushings on both lower control arms have totally disintegrated......You might want to check the other rubber parts when your looking under there(front bushings on the lower control arm,end links,sway bar,ball joint boots,CV boots,engine torque struts,etc)Just to check and see what condition they may be in also..........You might find this 'How to' page helpful:http://www.carrollclan.com/ptcruz/en...oint.htm:good:
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:14 am
Regular Cruiser

I had very similar on mine so replaced the bushings with Energy Red bushings. Not that expensive and easy enough to do. One tricky bit is cleanly removing the old bushing in the end of the lower control arm... Sounds mad, but set fire to the rubber... Drops out easily then and then just clean it up and give it a quick spray to protect it. The upgraded bushings are well worth the money...

Energy Suspension bush kits for repairing the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Neon suspension

2002 PT Cruiser CRD in Bright Silver.

Current Upgrades
Chrome door handle cups, chrome pillar covers, tinted windows, custom vinyl flame decals, alloy wheel decals, Enrgy bush kit, Engine cover MOD, LED Side Repeaters
17" Ace Manta Alloys, Red Brake callipers, Front grille MOD

Project list (wish list)
Rear bumper mod to DIY roll pan
Custom paint job (probably purple front end with flames running into the silver)
Air intake upgrade...
Old 08 Jul 2013, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci View Post

Thanks for any advice.
Ok, this is not your shaking. But they are starting to let go of the metal. Its time for them to be replaced. Your shaking is the rotors as it only happens when breaking. Tie rod can cause shaking at certain speeds when bad. But
not usually during breaking only.These will not affect your safety but will affect your tire ware. The front bushing never sees to go bad . But are a different design. Sway bar links ware out. Axle boots don't usually give any grief. Torque struts do go bad. None of these cause your problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com