PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New and need help - used 2001 pulls right and clunks

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New and need help - used 2001 pulls right and clunks

Hi errbody, I've been lurking for some time (thanks for all that help ) but now I'm facing a problem that I need some special help with.

TL;DR '01 pulls right and clunks going from R/D with medium acceleration. noticed bad bushing on right side stabilizer bar, could this be the cause?
also, stabilizer bar bolt screws in too much despite torque wrench being set proper.
details and pics below

I got a previously owned 2001 from my sister. Within the year of her care, it's had shocks and suspension replaced, timing belt, and probably some other stuff.

Since she's had it, it's been pulling right while driving so that I have to hold the steering wheel at 10 or 11 o'clock in order to drive straight. Also, when I switch from drive to reverse, or vice versa, and then accelerate I get a loud clunk from the right side wheel only once.

After some reading online, I took off the wheel and looked at the control arms, joints, and bushings. My sis's mechanic said it might be the ball joint, but that looks intact, just rusty. Looking around, I noticed the bushing on the right side for the stabilizer bar was pretty gnarly. Could this be the cause of the clunks and the pull? [pics below]

Also, i went to tighten the stabilizer bar bolt to the specified torque, but after setting the wrench to 28Nm, it just keep tightening to the point where the bolt was almost touching the axle! I know I set the torque properly, any idea what's going on?

Old 11 Jul 2013, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New and need help - used 2001 pulls right and clunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadcrumb View Post
Hi errbody, I've been lurking for some time (thanks for all that help ) but now I'm facing a problem that I need some special help with.

TL;DR '01 pulls right and clunks going from R/D with medium acceleration. noticed bad bushing on right side stabilizer bar, could this be the cause?
also, stabilizer bar bolt screws in too much despite torque wrench being set proper.
details and pics below

I got a previously owned 2001 from my sister. Within the year of her care, it's had shocks and suspension replaced, timing belt, and probably some other stuff.

Since she's had it, it's been pulling right while driving so that I have to hold the steering wheel at 10 or 11 o'clock in order to drive straight. Also, when I switch from drive to reverse, or vice versa, and then accelerate I get a loud clunk from the right side wheel only once.

After some reading online, I took off the wheel and looked at the control arms, joints, and bushings. My sis's mechanic said it might be the ball joint, but that looks intact, just rusty. Looking around, I noticed the bushing on the right side for the stabilizer bar was pretty gnarly. Could this be the cause of the clunks and the pull? [pics below]

Also, i went to tighten the stabilizer bar bolt to the specified torque, but after setting the wrench to 28Nm, it just keep tightening to the point where the bolt was almost touching the axle! I know I set the torque properly, any idea what's going on?

Your pic don't show up you need a online photo account such as Photo bucket. The clunk could be upper and lower motor mounts these are common. The ball joints need to be checked for movement. Visual just wont tell you anything. The links won't take that kind of torque. It should be in inch lbs. Check the tie-rods for movement also. If all the suspension is good than the alignment is off. This will ware your tires on one edge. Let us know how this works out or you still need assistance. Welcome

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2013, 09:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Listen to bustedpt, hes built 3 of these cars and DEFINITELY knows what hes talking about.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: New and need help - used 2001 pulls right and clunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The clunk could be upper and lower motor mounts these are common.
Busted_PT is the go-to for ALOT of great info,and he's probably right on this issue.....One easy way you can check(if you haven't done it already)is to stand outside the engine compartment and have someone else shift it from R to D while the hood is up to see if you can isolate where the 'clunk' is coming from......Also;You can check this thread where a fellow member had a similar problem awhile back: clunking noise??
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey thanks for the quick replies! ill try the images again

I'll have a look at the engine when I can. How would I be able to look at the ball joint in motion?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh and BustedPT, what do you mean they wont take that torque? The service or repair manual I got from the forums for the 2001 says 28 Nm or 248ish in lbs
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

These are known to clunk over bumps. Won't cause your pull . Or your noise when taking up slack in the drive line. They could be better condition though. Axle could do that as well. With wheels turn tight any clunking when rolling?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
Listen to bustedpt, hes built 3 of these cars and DEFINITELY knows what hes talking about.
I appreciate the complimentary words. But I don't claim to get it right all the time. Just hope it helps more than it hurts.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: New and need help - used 2001 pulls right and clunks

Well you have been under enough of these cars more than I have, so id trust you more than myself or a mechanic that works on EVERY kind of vehicle.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
Well you have been under enough of these cars more than I have, so id trust you more than myself or a mechanic that works on EVERY kind of vehicle.
Well thank you smurf, I will try not to let ya down.
randyincctx likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
clunk, pull, pulls, stabilizer bar, stabilizing bar