PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2013, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

^^^ I don't want to say this when I show up at the repair shop!

Whilst doing a coolant flush/fill this weekend, I saw this. The first is from the front of the drivers side wheel looking toward the passenger side, sorry it's blurry. The second is looking right from behind the passenger side wheel towards the drivers side.

It's obviously broke. What is this? I can't just try to bolt the one end down, it's bent into this position and doesn't budge.

Unless it's as simple as removing this bracket and installing a new one, I don't know that I'm comfortable working on wheel/suspension stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

The big long bar-thingy is your 'Stabilizer Bar'(Aka: Sway Bar)http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/3...-link-kit.html.......The bent bracket thingy is the 'Stabilizer Bar Bushing Clamp',and it's NOT supposed to be hanging down like that....It should have a bolt on each side!.......The black wheelie thingy is the 'Stabilizer Bar Bushing',and aside from everything else it looks OK...But,they really arn't that expensive and are very easy to replace!.....I have a quick question for you;If you follow the long bar-thingy all the way up on both sides you will see short rod-thingys that are called 'Stabilizer Bar End Links'....Can you see if they are broken,and if the rubber bushings on them look OK?.....New ones look like these:5.8105 Energy Suspension Front Sway Bar End Links - Dodge Neon / PT Cruiser
TurboDucky likes this.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 10:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by konadave View Post
I can't just try to bolt the one end down, it's bent into this position and doesn't budge.
Yes,it will.....You need to remove the other bolt(may need to spray penetrant due to rust!)...Then put it in a vise,and beat it back into shap with a hammer....Then you can reinstall it......Although,I cant tell from the picture....Is the other bolt broken off??
Old 14 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by konadave View Post
OK,judging from this pic(although blurry)it does appear the bolt head has snapped/broken off......Good new is,it looks like there is enough left to get a pair of vise grips on it...But,I would definately use a good penetrant(I recommend 'PB Blaster')and be sure and let it soak in,and when you think it has soaked enough...SPRAY some more,and let it soak in again!Then you should be able to remove it.....Replacing the Stabilizer bushings & End Links is a very easy procedure IMO.....If you can flush your radiator,you can do that also.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm
Banned

Default Re: What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

Man that pt is really rusty
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Man that pt is really rusty
That's probably why the bolt snapped!.....Or someone tried to DIY and snapped it off and said 'F-it'!

Last edited by randyincctx; 14 Jul 2013 at 11:50 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Man what is it with these cars and chucking front sway bar parts? I found the cure to my PT's odd clunk and quirky handling when I was rotating the tires...both end link nuts were gone on the front sway bar! Replaced them with nylock nuts and the odd handling has gone away!

But yeah I guess I need to check that the brackets are tight also...hmm might just go ahead and install the Eibach sway bars!
randyincctx likes this.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

This doesn't look too bad a job, and bushings/clamps/bolts/links all for under $60. It would be silly not to do it all while I'm down there fixing the broken one.

Haynes manual says to remove the wheels. Also says to remove the whole bar to replace the bushings. Neither seem necessary based on those videos. Would that be correct?

I guess the final decider will be whether I can get that broken bolt out.

Thanks for the help!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ugh if that bolt is broken rather than gone? Consider carefully if you want to remove it or take it to a shop!

25pc Screw Extractor Set Drill Guide Extract Stripped Broken Bolt Fastener Kit | eBay

I would recommend a kit like this one if your gonna try it yourself, part of this kit is a guide that keeps the drill from going off center and jacking everything up!

That's what my shop used after I jacked up a broken manifold stud on a Corolla!

Just the usually screw extrator set and a handful of drills might not do it. Just something to consider.

Last edited by Chip18sw; 15 Jul 2013 at 07:04 pm.