PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spindle & hub assembly replacement (rear)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huantexas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2013, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spindle & hub assembly replacement (rear)

Looking for experienced words of wisdom or guidance (or encouragement).

I'm going to replace the rear, drivers side hub assembly & spindle on my '03 PT, due to a low speed/impact T-bone wreck. The wheel is out of alignment (toe-in & camber) and bearing is grinding so I intend to replace hub assembly (with bearing) & spindle. Also have two new shocks.

I know my way around a car and a tool box, so this isn't my cherry jump--so to speak.

Any advice is appreciated.

Like, can anyone tell me what size that spindle nut is?

Thnx!

Last edited by huantexas; 18 Jul 2013 at 04:51 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 09:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Spindle & hub assembly replacement (rear)

Sorry, super- low (very reliable) items you're working on there
Old 19 Jul 2013, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

I replaced mine due to a similar accident...
The rear spindles are fairly easy and straight forward to swap out. The nut is something like 27-30mm, similar in size to the front axle nut and torqued to about 150ft/lb. Do you have disc or drum rear brakes? I have rear disc brakes and the only thing that was a little finicky was readjusting the parking brake shoes.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Jul 2013, 01:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. rcktpwrd, I have drum brakes and I figure the work around will be the most difficult part of this endeavor. I think I'll hit it on Saturday afternoon. I'll post my successes and my tears.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 10:34 am
Senior Cruiser

you might have to disconnect the hydraulic brake lines to allow for enough movement to clear the axle stub, then bleed the brakes after your done. Otherwise its just four bolts that hold the backing plate to the axle assembly and the spindle nut.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Jul 2013, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

DONE!

Definitely a straight forward job. Biggest heart-ache was due to weathered bolts and bolt threads holding the spindle. Add to that I didn't have my 1/2 drive set. A little patience, a little WD40 carefully applied, and a lot of sweat, but they finally came out.

To facilitate movement and add wiggle room I removed the brake shoes and disconnected the brake cable, plus I unhooked both cable and hydraulic lines from anchor points on axle and underbody.

3 hours work, tops. Now I need to run and borrow an torque wrench cause mine is at the house--and the damn ex has the house. Ok different forum topic...sorry.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by huantexas View Post
DONE!

Definitely a straight forward job. Biggest heart-ache was due to weathered bolts and bolt threads holding the spindle. Add to that I didn't have my 1/2 drive set. A little patience, a little WD40 carefully applied, and a lot of sweat, but they finally came out.

To facilitate movement and add wiggle room I removed the brake shoes and disconnected the brake cable, plus I unhooked both cable and hydraulic lines from anchor points on axle and underbody.

3 hours work, tops. Now I need to run and borrow an torque wrench cause mine is at the house--and the damn ex has the house. Ok different forum topic...sorry.
One word prenuptial We can help you fix most anything. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
hub, hub assembly, spindle