Advertisements
please pt is stuck

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2013, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default please pt is stuck

hi all
so my pt is stuck and when i say stuck i mean it wont move... the front passager wheel started to make some noise the other day sounded like the wheel bearin but when i gave it a quick look there was no play and the rotor was smokin hot so i got thinkin its a stuck caliper.... i pulled the wheel and caliper seems ok so now i think its the parkin brake that is stuck... can someone please give me some help i dont have the time to start pullin everything apart
thanks for any input
Danny
Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: please pt is stuck

the car will still move just fine with the parking brake on.

if the car is automatic, check the fluid level first.

jack up the front and put it in neutral. see if both wheels spin freely. if they do not, you'll know which wheel is the problem.
if they do rotate fine, get a second person and try to rotate both wheels at the same time in the same direction. if they do not rotate like this in neutral, it's a trans problem.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jul 2013 at 11:18 am.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok so first off do both wheels need to be off the ground?? and second the car "trys" to move so not sure its the tranny it really feels like im pressing the gas and brake at same time the front end kinda lifts if you know what i mean??? also i jacked up passager side and whell dose move abit so im..... well i just dont know what else to check
thanks again for any help
Danny
Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

jack the car up
put in netural
and spin the wheel it needs to be free then do the same on the other side

it sounds like you got the breaks hot and they are stuck

the wheels should turn free maybe some noise and a little resistance but they should spinn

parking break is on the rear wheels only
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks again for the help...... ok so now im lost....lol... jacked it up checked both wheels they both spin freely... tryed to move it and had alittle resistance at first but it gave free drove around my apt. for alittle bit no noise and it seems fine now.... wtf?????
thanks again please help my wife needs to drive this car to work tomorrow and i dont free its safe
Danny

Last edited by dannyces; 25 Jul 2013 at 12:11 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like the brakes on the side that was "smokin hot" was stuck ON. A sticking Caliper when hot and when it cooled, it let the rotor loose.

Old 25 Jul 2013, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep what CREWZIN said it was hot it stuck it cooled and freed it self but it will most likely get hot again id pull it apart and replace it also for sure Id check the rubber break hose they come apart INSIDE and will not let the brakes retract
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm not there and I don't know what order you tried the suggestions.....
but it sure seems like it could have been the parking brake. If you could spin the wheels when it was jacked up, it still could be the parking brake. Are you sure it was released? Sometimes when folks get flustered, they don't see what's right in their face.

You can check for a stuck piston in the calipers by simply pushing them in with a screwdriver or knife tip. They only have to move a little to let you know they're not stuck. I don't know if I go along with the cold brake/hot brake idea?? You could spin the wheels when cold so they weren't "stuck" then. Take it for a ride and warm them up and see what you get.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The rotor should not be smoking hot? As stated the parking brake is on the rear.
Have the brake been worked on lately. It might not be the actual caliper but the bolts that the cliper slides on might need to be lubed?

I had a brake job done on my little Toyota truck a few years ago and the caliper on the passenger side sliders weren't lubed. When I used the brakes the car would jump to the passenger side. Fixed with lubricate.

Might be your problem?
Old 25 Jul 2013, 07:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: please pt is stuck

There is a possibility that the piston seal is bad on that side,which is causing it to drag/expand when hot/heated and then contracting when cools,and also the caliper bolts/pins may need lubricating.....Someone may correct me if I'm wrong,but I think you might be able to get by with just a Caliper Repair/Rebuild Kit......Or you may need a new piston & seal;Unless it has been getting so bad that the brake cylinder is now scored on the inside....If that's the case,then you may need a (used/rebuilt/or new)replacement caliper.......Best way to find out is pull the caliper and do a visual inspection of it,and check to see how freely the piston moves within the cylinder.....Heres a couple of parts #'s for reference of approximate costs if replacements are needed:

Brake Caliper Repair Kit(2004 PT Cruiser)=$5.99 @ O'Reilly's
BrakeBest® Hardware/Hydraulics 15072 - Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

New Brake Caliper Piston(2004 PT Cruiser)=$9.99 @ O'Reilly's
BrakeBest® Hardware/Hydraulics 7835 - Disc Brake Caliper Piston | O'Reilly Auto Parts