PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Time For Tires need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2013, 01:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Time For Tires need Help

hey guys,
i have a 03 pt gt turbo model with the factory gt wheels with the 205/50/17 tires, and i hate them, i hate small low profile rough riding tires. we dont have nice enough roads here for tires with no sidewall. i want some taller tires, what are some sizes to look at?

would a 245/50/17 give me any problems? these would give me about a inch or so more sidewall correct?
Mods/GTS Taillight covers/tinted backup lights/smoked license plate cover/Mopar blow off valve/8k hids/billet fuel door/Amber gold fogs/audio/video/blue pearl shift knob/All blue LEDs inside/Custom made hard pipe and air filter/Airhorn/black Billet upper grille/aluminum floormats/mopar boost gauge/mopar stage 1/Mopar aero kit (ground effects)/Black housing headlights/SRS 2.5' Catback/in channel vent visors/shaved badges/
Old 26 Jul 2013, 01:52 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Time For Tires need Help

Tire oh tire will you grant him this wish
Riding on this tire causes him much anguish.

Hate fills the heart of this young chap
Low sidewalls have proved to be nothing but crap

The roads are bumpy and rutted as hell
His patience is thin and his anger will swell
Old 26 Jul 2013, 06:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Time For Tires need Help

Don't know if a 245 will fir maybe a 225 but yes you can go in profile, it's gonna be a downgrade in transit response...but if you don't know what that means then it probably won't be an issue for you.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

A 245/50 will cause some problems. It will cause your speedo to be off (low) by about 3 or 4 MPH @ 60. It will take some of the pep out of your step like a final ratio gear change and add a bit more weight for the suspension to handle. But most of all, it probably would rub on the lower spring perch of the front strut. To test that out, slip your finger between the top inside corner of the stock tire and the bottom of the spring. If you don't have more than a 1/2" of space, the taller tire won't work.

You could mount the taller tires just in the back with no rubbing issues. That would get you half way more sidewall. But you would have to minus size the front wheels to 16" with a tire height same as stock to get more sidewall in front. The staggered sizes would give you a circumference difference front to back but not enough to cause the traction control to freak. That's actually not a bad look, though.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
A 245/50 will cause some problems. It will cause your speedo to be off (low) by about 3 or 4 MPH @ 60. It will take some of the pep out of your step like a final ratio gear change and add a bit more weight for the suspension to handle. But most of all, it probably would rub on the lower spring perch of the front strut. To test that out, slip your finger between the top inside corner of the stock tire and the bottom of the spring. If you don't have more than a 1/2" of space, the taller tire won't work.

You could mount the taller tires just in the back with no rubbing issues. That would get you half way more sidewall. But you would have to minus size the front wheels to 16" with a tire height same as stock to get more sidewall in front. The staggered sizes would give you a circumference difference front to back but not enough to cause the traction control to freak. That's actually not a bad look, though.
You probably would be better suited to the 16' wheels or even the 15"s with 205 55 16 or 195 65" 15"s This will have 0 affect on the speedo or the power. But depending on the tire and psi rating of the tire, wether the ride is soft. The lower the psi rating on the tire the better they will ride. Also you probably would be able to get some one to trade for your GT rims for there 16" or 15" if you wanted.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yep what they say. But if you swapped to a 16's, a 205 50 will fit all the way around a 225 50 might fit in back but not the front.

Yes a taller sidewall will ride better (a relative term for me) but it won't respond to input as quickly...more sidewall...more flex.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman3 View Post
hey guys,
i have a 03 pt gt turbo model with the factory gt wheels with the 205/50/17 tires, and i hate them, i hate small low profile rough riding tires. we dont have nice enough roads here for tires with no sidewall. i want some taller tires, what are some sizes to look at?

would a 245/50/17 give me any problems? these would give me about a inch or so more sidewall correct?
Try 225/45R17
If the roads are not that great the tire will be more wider, which will allow to have a better grip.

also you can change the rims and go
205/55R16 and it should help by making the tire taller, but then again I recommend the 225/45R17