PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Squeaking Front Suspension

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2013, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Squeaking Front Suspension (Area)

It appears that I'm getting quite a bit of squeaking, from the front end. It definitely sounds like it's related to suspension. A few examples when it occurs: When riding over a speed bump, there's an obnoxious amount of squeaking from the front. It seems to primarily come from the right. It has been doing this for some time, but only over speed bumps. As of this morning, it's a constant squeak while driving. It alters depending on the way the wheel is being turned and how fast that I'm driving. Overly excessive, when driving over speed bumps. Just recently, the vehicle began to make a low thump (felt in the steering), when I turned the wheel to the right. That particular symptom, isn't currently happening. Any clues/insight, would be greatly appreciated! It is extremely embarrassing.

Last edited by Nvizn; 01 Aug 2013 at 02:08 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2013, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Squeaking Front Suspension

Could be a dried out or worn out bushing. There's quite a few at each side of the front end. Only way to pin-point it is to get under the car, preferably while it's on a lift, and have someone pull down on the bumper so the noise shows it's ugly head.

Also, do it yourself or have someone check out your front wheel bearings.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 01 Aug 2013, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Squeaking Front Suspension

CREWZIN is right about being caused by many different front suspension parts....Not that it's absolutely necessary,but you didn't mention what year or how many miles;But I guess enough of either to be anything from sway bar bushings,end links,control arm bushings,torque arm(maybe)???....and may even have bearings participating in the squeek too!......Shade tree method is to lay down next to the car,and have someone push up & down on the bumper to try and isolate where it's coming from....I know not everyone has access to a lift.
Old 01 Aug 2013, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Also, do it yourself or have someone check out your front wheel bearings.
I've replaced both wheel bearings, in the last 6 months.

To add: The squeaking is actually occurring while driving. As I stop, it stops, as I drive, it starts and continues until 35'ish mph. It's extremely squeaky, when I drive over a speed bump. It's almost like it's coming from the drive shaft, or something.

It's a 2005, with 132,000.

Last edited by Nvizn; 01 Aug 2013 at 07:39 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2013, 12:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Squeaking Front Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvizn View Post
It's a 2005, with 132,000.
Has your timing belt been changed?
Quote:
The squeaking is actually occurring while driving. As I stop, it stops, as I drive, it starts and continues until 35'ish mph. It's extremely squeaky, when I drive over a speed bump. It's almost like it's coming from the drive shaft, or something..
That almost sounds like the harmonic balancer,or the belt tensioner?
Old 02 Aug 2013, 06:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Has your timing belt been changed?
That almost sounds like the harmonic balancer,or the belt tensioner?
I'm not sure if the belt has been changed or not, but definitely not it. Without a doubt, it's not engine noise. There's no noise at idol/stop.

It's almost as if it's moving around. Or, there's more than one issue. One may be bushings, where the car squeaks excessively over speed bumps. The other, is a constant squeak. The loudest between 0-35 mph. I'm beginning to think it's the wheel bearing again. However, typical symptoms of the bearing is a roaring noise rather than a squeak, right? It was roaring when I replaced it. These wheel bearings are only 5 or less months old. Is it typical to get this type of noise out of a wheel bearing? The sound is comparable to someone is scratching the chalkboard with fingernails, except the decible is up and down, not constant. Eeekee, Eeekee, Eeekee; at a rapid pace. As if something is rubbing.

Last edited by Nvizn; 02 Aug 2013 at 06:59 am.
Old 02 Aug 2013, 08:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: Squeaking Front Suspension

Before I blew the harmonic balancer on my Tacoma 4 years ago,it was quiet at idle,but as I accelerated it squealed (gradually getting louder?) until about 35-45mph for about 3 months;Then it blew one day on the freeway,tore up all the belts,cracked the fan shroud,and left me stranded by the road......I thought it was just a belt squeeking.
Old 02 Aug 2013, 08:55 am
Dedicated Cruiser

squeak squeak squeak is usually the brakes warning you that they'll need to be changed soon. you may also find the pads worn unevenly depending how long you let that wheel bearing go.

jack the car up, chock the back wheel, put it in neutral, and rotate the wheel by hand to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

then, take the wheel off, check the thickness of the pads, and the condition of the rotor.

a squeak over bumps is a classic symptom of a failing ball joint, so while the wheel is still off, inspect the lower ball joint. if there is a tear in the boot or it is rusty in there, spray it liberally with lithium grease. if that stops the squeaking over bumps, you've found the problem. remember that although this may stop the squeak, this is not a fix. change it before you get hurt.

i have a lot of experience diagnosing ball joints with this grease method, on my own cars, and cars of friends. i use white lithium grease in a spray can with the little red straw attached. if you have a grease fitting on the balljoint, that would be even better(but if it's original, it wont)

feel free to post pics or a video.

Last edited by rob342; 02 Aug 2013 at 09:06 am.
Old 02 Aug 2013, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
squeak squeak squeak is usually the brakes warning you that they'll need to be changed soon. you may also find the pads worn unevenly depending how long you let that wheel bearing go.

jack the car up, chock the back wheel, put it in neutral, and rotate the wheel by hand to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

then, take the wheel off, check the thickness of the pads, and the condition of the rotor.

a squeak over bumps is a classic symptom of a failing ball joint, so while the wheel is still off, inspect the lower ball joint. if there is a tear in the boot or it is rusty in there, spray it liberally with lithium grease. if that stops the squeaking over bumps, you've found the problem. remember that although this may stop the squeak, this is not a fix. change it before you get hurt.

i have a lot of experience diagnosing ball joints with this grease method, on my own cars, and cars of friends. i use white lithium grease in a spray can with the little red straw attached. if you have a grease fitting on the balljoint, that would be even better(but if it's original, it wont)

feel free to post pics or a video.
Front pads were replaced in the last 2 months, rear replaced in the last few weeks. Although I need to look at the rear again, as the handbrake isn't working at all since I changed them.

Yes, a balljoint sounds like a more likely culprit. I'll have to look at it this weekend and possibly get a video.

Last edited by Nvizn; 02 Aug 2013 at 09:24 am.
Old 02 Aug 2013, 09:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Squeaking Front Suspension

Quote:
Front pads were replaced in the last 2 months, rear replaced in the last few weeks.
Were the rotors/drums turned?