PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Koni or Tokico?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Koni or Tokico?

If you have them on your PT:

1. Which do you have and why did you choose them?

2. Your comments on their performance and ride quality?

3. Who installed them and what "tricks" are there on doing the fronts?

4. Where did you buy and $$?

5. Are you satisfied with the investment?
Old 26 Mar 2004, 09:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sakigt - I see you have the Tokicos. How do you like them??
Old 10 Apr 2004, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Getting the Koni's put on next week! I'll let you know! If your still interested...
Old 19 Apr 2004, 10:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Am interested, thank you.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 02:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Just had my Tokico's (same as SakiGT has) put on this evening. I bought them new on eBay for $265 including shipping - installation was $110 by a local small shop guy. GoldLine 1.5"F/2.0"R previously installed.

I'm willing to bet the Koni adjustables are overall a better shock (for the extra $ they'd better be) but once again it comes down to what you want, what you're willing to pay, etc. The next step up would be fully adjustable coil-overs, but from what I've seen recently regarding these, you'd darn well better have someone set them up who really knows what they're doing or you won't realize their full potential. Is your installer set up to do weight measurements on all four corners of your car? Are you buying the coil-overs because they're adjustable and you know that to be top of the line stuff? I really that you're better off getting a nice set of gas shocks/struts like the Tokicos or Konis unless you can truly do a proper setup on adjustables. (now that I've opened that door I'll probably get all sorts of comments telling me I'm nuts!)

OK, so what about those Tokicos? Well, I didn't have much time to test drive them 'cause my wife had dinner on and I had to get back home, not to mention some freelance work I needed to finish for a client. I did get to cross my least favorite railroad tracks on the way home, and I was mighty impressed with the improvement there. The stock shocks/struts (with the GoldLines) would return a pretty nasty tail end bounce and a pretty good deal of harshness. The Tokicos took the same tracks in stride. I can best describe it as settling down much faster after the initial hit - no bouncy/jouncy, no harshness, no clunk. Way more confidence inspiring, and I don't think I'll be cringing every time I approach those tracks in the future.

Again, I have not tried the Koni's so I can't actually comment on those. Yes, I would expect them to be overall a better performer, but is the cost to performance ratio there? It also comes down to what you really expect out of your car, what you want out of it. I am, so far, very pleased with the Tokico's
Old 24 Apr 2004, 11:28 am
Cool Cruiser

In contrast to what Mike said, I can't speak for the Tokico but I've had the Koni's on for a week now and I can say they are worth the $$! The GT drives like a much more expensive car now! The ride is firm but not harsh. Keep in mind I now have the complete Eibach setup which includes the Sport spring lowering set and the anti rool kit (front & rear sways). When I had just the springs with the stockers the shocks wouldn't keep up with the springs hence a nasty bump over the nasty roads we have here up north. The Koni's will be the last set of shock you'll ever buy and will probably out last your PT. This is because they are adjustable, ride getting a little soft? just adjust! I don't know if the Tokico's have that option. And in case your wondering No, I don't work for Koni. I got mine through the Tire Rack the springs as well the sway bar kit I got through Wycoff Chrysler.
Vehicle: 03 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
2 Koni Sport Cartridge $136.00 $272.00
2 Koni Sport Shock $117.00 $234.00
Shipping: $17.34
Tax: $.00
Excise Tax: $.00
State Disposal Fund Fee: $.00
Order Total Including Shipping: $523.34
Eibach Anti-Roll Kit 2860.320 1 299.95

Front & Rear Anti-Sway
Bars
Eibach PT Cruiser Rear 2860.320HKR 1 99.95
Sway Bar Install Kit
Subtotal 399.90
Shipping 14.06 (note your ship cost may be different)
Tax 23.99 (you may not have tax depending on where you
live)
Total 437.95

Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set $237.00
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kgdptblue

In contrast to what Mike said, I can't speak for the Tokico but I've had the Koni's on for a week now and I can say they are worth the $$! The GT drives like a much more expensive car now! The ride is firm but not harsh. Keep in mind I now have the complete Eibach setup which includes the Sport spring lowering set and the anti rool kit (front & rear sways). When I had just the springs on the stock shock wouldn't keep up with the springs hence a nasty bump over the nasty roads we have here up north. The Koni's will be the last set of shock you'll ever buy and will probably out last your PT. This is because they are adjustable, ride getting a little soft? just adjust! I don't know if the Tokico's have that option. And in case your wondering No, I don't work for Koni. I got mine throught the Tire Rack the springs as well the sway bar kit I got through Wycoff Chrysler.
kdgpt,

Did you install the Koni's yourself? If so, how much cutting did you have to do on the front strut to drop the cartridge in? Thanks

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 07 May 2004, 11:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

KONIS
they suck to install and cost more but are totally worth every penny.
Ive had mine in for almost 3 years and the adjustability is great.
I also have lost of other suspension goodied in there to help out too.
Once i get the engine done and put on my new bumpers i will be getting coilovers so that i can raise it up for winter and put on the winter rollers then slam it hard for the summer when the roads are nice. (KW coilovers are the absolute best suspension i dont care what anyone sais about air bags they are full of air
Old 07 May 2004, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:RallyDRock Posted - 05/07/2004 : 10:25:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KONIS
they suck to install and cost more but are totally worth every penny.
Ive had mine in for almost 3 years and the adjustability is great.
I also have lost of other suspension goodied in there to help out too.
Once i get the engine done and put on my new bumpers i will be getting coilovers so that i can raise it up for winter and put on the winter rollers then slam it hard for the summer when the roads are nice. (KW coilovers are the absolute best suspension i dont care what anyone sais about air bags they are full of air
I wasn't willing to get into the whole cutting aspect for a set of shocks/struts so I went with the Tokicos and am extremely pleased.

No doubt in my mind a nice set of coilovers would be the ultimate. The only problem with fully adjustable coilovers is that you have to very precise with setup in order to get the most out of them and not actually cause handling problems. Ideally you should use a system that lets you measure the weight of each corner of the car with the driver behind the wheel. It can be tedious, but the final outcome is very hard to beat, which is why they're so popular for road racing.
Old 10 May 2004, 11:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

my buddy has a set of scales at his shop for that purpose
if and when i get the coilovers i may even cut the shock towers and put in camber plates for ultimate adjustability.