Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Better ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2013, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Better ride

Hello, I'm new here, and I've seen a few posts on tire size. I was wondering what would be the tallest widest tires I can run on my 2007 with 16x7's without rubbing. Looking for a better, less back breaking ride... LOL!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Better ride

Eric, welcome to the forum.

Are you the first owner of that PT? I thought the PT runs pretty smooth as it comes from the factory. You sure whoever owned it before you didn't lower it or do something to change the stock ride? Good tires mean a lot to the ride quality too. Your might have harder, longer lasting tires rather than touring tires.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. No I am not. They came with aftermarket 17's with 215 45's Nexens. I have a set of 16x7's. Also, just installed new shocks/struts all around. My guy said it had not been lowered.
Another quick question is I want to replace the small stock wing with the larger stock one. I notice that there are another set of starter holes under the top lip of the hatch. Are those to install the lager wing?
Thanks.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know of the starter holes under your kind of spoiler or where they are placed but I do know you have one bigger hole right in the middle which the larger spoiler doesn't use. The larger spoiler uses two good size holes on each side and sometimes the new larger/higher spoiler comes with a template to help you drill holes.

The larger spoiler goes on using holes in through the hatch itself covered by black DOT gourmets as you can see in my pictures below.

Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimon5294 View Post
Thanks. No I am not. They came with aftermarket 17's with 215 45's Nexens. I have a set of 16x7's. Also, just installed new shocks/struts all around. My guy said it had not been lowered.
Another quick question is I want to replace the small stock wing with the larger stock one. I notice that there are another set of starter holes under the top lip of the hatch. Are those to install the lager wing?
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

It is a little late now but what shocks struts did you get installed? Strangely enough as it is the ride comfort quality comes mostly form the rear suspension.
A way to get a softer ride is to use as CREWSINs suggested a touring tire and maybe one that is slightly taller as well. As you mentioned looking into. You can even change just the rear with a progressive Ebach spring and stock shocks. You can adjust the ride height slightly with Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolators. These springs will have a softer ride over the stock springs under normal flat road driving.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

He installed Monroe sensa tracs. Would 215 60 16's fit?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 04:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you really want a smother ride do what I did, Move out of New York. lol The roads are bad. Good luck.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 23 Aug 2013, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimon5294 View Post
He installed Monroe sensa tracs. Would 215 60 16's fit?
Yes they will fit. The tires rated max air psi will greatly affect the ride . The higher the rating the harder the ride. A 35 psi tire will ride much softer than a 51 psi tire of the same size.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Going from a 17" to a 16" wheel is a step in the right direction as far as comfort goes. It should be enough to be noticeable. You're limited by the front struts as to how tall a tire you can mount. In back, you can play more games with tire height but if you have a traction control, you can't have too big of a differential between the front and back tires or it will trigger a warning light. I suppose you could turn the T/C off but you would have to do it each time and every time.

A wider, taller tire (in the small amount that you could actually fit) won't necessarily ride any "softer" but there may be tires that have a slightly less stiff sidewall construction, but understand that it's a trade off. You have to give up some response and handling to get that cushy ride. The 16" wheels will be the biggest piece of your puzzle. Anything you do with tires is probably going to have less effect. Just my opinion.