Creaking

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By melissa610

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2013, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Creaking

Hi,

I'm not honestly sure if this belongs here or in another place, but here's my issue: When I stop or start, the bottom of the car creaks, like an old wood floor. I don't know if it's the brakes or the suspension, hence my confusion as to where this belongs. It's still under the Carmax 30 day warranty, so I will get it checked out, but I'd like to have an idea what I'm talking about before I go in. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Melissa
Old 09 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Creaking

Push down in your bumper front or back. Get it moving , bouncing up and down to see if you can create the noise.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Sep 2013, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good point. I'll try that. If it doesn't make the noise, I'll have them check the brakes. I will say that the noise does not occur when I'm driving. I don't think it happens going over bumps, either, but I can't say that I've specifically listened for it. I'll do that on the way home tonight. Thanks!
Old 09 Sep 2013, 04:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had a creaking from my lower motor mount (torque strut) when I installed inserts that stiffen them. Just a little lube and it fixed it. Sounded like the noise you described, anyway. Well, to determine if the noise is coming from your motor flexing, step on the brake (assuming you have an auto) and slightly push on the gas. If you hear the creak its possible that you have a torque strut issue.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll check that out, thanks!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SO, I checked on the drive home last night, and it doesn't creak when I go over bumps. In fact, it only seems to happen at slow speeds, when I brake and as I pull out from a stop. I also noticed that it gets more pronounced when there are more people in the car. I'm going to take it to my mechanic, since I looked at the Carmax "limited warranty" (emphasis on the "limited"!), and apparently it only kicks in if there is a breakdown. This is just annoying, not a breakdown. I'd rather have my guys, who I completely trust, do it anyway.

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 16 May 2016, 06:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bump! I have this exact issue now, first it was early morning cold start squeaks when going over speed bump a little faster then would go away after warming up. I fixed that mostly by greasing everything with a grease nipple by the front wheels and spraying liquid wrench type lubricating spray on any bushing I could find. I no longer hear the loud squeak on a cold suspension. I'm starting to hear slight squeak on a hot suspension now.. I just don't understand. Also ... Now I get this creaking OP describes but offered no possible follow up solution. I didn't spray lubricant on my motor mounts and not sure if I should. I need to do the torque strut test brb

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 16 May 2016 at 06:43 pm.
Old 16 May 2016, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine actually turned out to be a support bar that had been installed upside down. I will never buy from CarMax again. My mechanic fixed it, and it's been fine. Do have a mechanic check the motor mounts, though. I just had one replaced , and my mechanic told me they are notorious for breaking on the Cruiser.
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 16 May 2016, 07:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa610 View Post
Mine actually turned out to be a support bar that had been installed upside down. I will never buy from CarMax again. My mechanic fixed it, and it's been fine. Do have a mechanic check the motor mounts, though. I just had one replaced , and my mechanic told me they are notorious for breaking on the Cruiser.
Huh, upside down? Wow. Thank you so much for responding!!
Old 16 May 2016, 08:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I found that the creaking in my PT was from the sway bar bushings. While I was rotating it downward to get to the lower control arms, I heard the familiar creaking and said "That's the sound I was hearing first thing in the morning while driving".