Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel shimey ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2004, 12:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Wheel shimey ??

New wheels/tires installed about 4 weeks ago. Had them computer balanced from the tire shop...shimmed pretty bad at about 60-70 MPH. Went back to tire shop, no problem...they rebalanced all 4 again as I watched. One of the front ones was off a bit so they re-weighted it. Back down the road....still shimmies at the same speed but not quite as bad. Take it back again, shop says they will make it right no matter what and proceed to order " concentric wheel spacers ??? " They claim the center of the custom wheel does not fit as tight on the hub as the stock and some wheels do not center themselves correctly...hence the centering spacer. Never heard of this before and I am wondering if these guys know what they are talking about or am I getting a line of BS...anyone have any insight on this ?? [xx(]
[:I]

Old 27 Mar 2004, 12:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds plausible. If you don't pay for it, I'd let them go for it. Since you got the wheels and tires there, I'd make them fix it - at no added cost.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Mar 2004, 01:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I am a Daimler Chrysler tech. The wheel shop is not feeding you a line. They should have put them on to begin with. The problem is aftermarket wheels can be very tricky to eliminate vibrations. What happens with lug centric wheels which what you have the lugnuts and the seats for the lug nuts hold your wheel and tire on center. If you are careful you can get them to run straight. But what happens is that the wheel doesn't tighten up straight and you get runout which causes your vibration. I have Enkie CDR 9 wheels on my 04 and have the same problem. Fortunatly my vibration doesn't come in till about 75-80 mph... But it does cause a slight vibration under braking. Have them order the spacers they where talking about and put them on. That should go a long way to fixing the problem...
Old 27 Mar 2004, 08:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Just a thought .Did you remove the clip that is on
the one lug of each wheel[:I].I had to on mine.Stock wheels
are beveled in back and my new wheels weren't.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 27 Mar 2004, 10:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quoteid you remove the clip that is on
the one lug of each wheel
Is the clip on the new wheel or old ? When you say remove it do you mean remove it from the old and put it on the new ? What does the clip do ? Center the wheel I assume.

Old 27 Mar 2004, 01:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

pt4u2nv
The clip is on 1 of the wheel lugs at each wheel. It's there for assembly line purposes only, keeps the rotors/drums from falling off during the ride down the assembly line. The factory wheels have a clearance hole so the clip doesn't matter but many aftermarket don't have this hole and the wheel doesn't sit "square" against the rotor/drum causing vibrations. Remove the clips by twisting with a pair of needlenose pliers and give it another try.
[8)]
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 28 Mar 2004, 01:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:The clip is on 1 of the wheel lugs at each wheel. It's there for assembly line purposes only, keeps the rotors/drums from falling off during the ride down the assembly line. The factory wheels have a clearance hole so the clip doesn't matter but many aftermarket don't have this hole and the wheel doesn't sit "square" against the rotor/drum causing vibrations. Remove the clips by twisting with a pair of needlenose pliers and give it another try.
Thanks . I will check it out !!

Old 29 Mar 2004, 01:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

slartyblarfast,
Your a tech, then maybe you can help me. I have had a vibration problem since buying the PT. At first they rotated and balanced twice, took to Goodyear and they said something about a control arm? Dealer replaced both rears and then it got fixed at Goodyear with a .5 weight. At 6,000 miles later I have the tires rotated and the vibration came back, had them balance again and same thing, while also pulling to the left and then the right with a torque pull, got new front tire fixed by Goodyear. Now once again with the rotate and balance after another oil change now at 18600, I have the vibration again.

The PT does not pull either direction when stopping or starting, does vibrate some while braking and vibrates at 48-53. It feels like something is out of weight again, the vibration is a long oval type felling. But I have already replaced three tires. What should I do? Do you have an idea?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 02:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Honestly.... I don't like the goodyears they put on from the factory. I've heard several people have balance problems. They have a bad tendancy to go bad internally. You could also have a RFV problem. That's road force vibration. WHen tires are made they can get hard and soft spots in the tire that won't show on the outside. You need a good shop with a hunter 9000 balancer or a tire balancer that can measure road force vibration. Other than that get new tires. I use Discount Tires Arizonian's.They are a great tire and seem to last forever.
The oull can sometimes be caused by the tire itself. You can variations in tire height that can cause a pull. Tire pressure can do it too.
That's about all i can tell you with out putting my hands on them.
Hope that helps.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

slartyblarfast
I figured that I would not bother with it this time considereing its not that bad and wait till my next rotating to see if not balancing the new position of the "bad" tire(s) will go away or change after the next rotating. This I will just ride on till I need new tires.

Do tires warm up? It vibrates more after work when I leave, and the car has sat in our parking lot for a few hours and all the mechanics of the car are cold, including the tires. I know that rubber heats up as you drive on it.