PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Energy Suspension Bushing - Lower Torque Mount - Is this correct?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greeley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2013, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Energy Suspension Bushing - Lower Torque Mount - Is this correct?

Quick question for those who've installed the Energy Suspension lower torque mount bushing inserts: I'm putting on a pair and they seem to uh, stick out a bit! Are they supposed to? I called ES and they said there is supposed to be some bushing sticking out.

In the stock mount, the Chrysler bushings sit almost flush with the edge of the arm and the metal inside makes full bearing contact with the block. The ES mounts go inside, filling the spaces, essentially making it a solid block of rubber. I dunno about this--doesn't look right (see pics.) You're not supposed to remove or trim the existing rubber inside the arm, and ES clearly made these inserts beefy, but won't this pull the metal inside toward the block when cranked down to spec?

The first pic is the outside of the arm, the second pic shows the inside of the arm--the part that goes against the block. I know it'll squish down, but....

Anyone dealt with this one? You may know more than ES on this one.

Outside mount:

Inside mount:

**edit**

Measured the difference -- it's about .45 of an inch, uncompressed and including the zip tie button -- seems like a lot, given that the metal inside is supposed to make full contact with the block:

I also double-checked the part number stamps to make sure I hadn't reversed the ES bushings. This is according to instructions--but it almost looks the outer bushing would make a better fit against the block... did they screw up the docs?

Last edited by greeley; 19 Sep 2013 at 02:26 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old 19 Sep 2013, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Energy Suspension Bushing - Lower Torque Mount - Is this correct?

I haven't done this procedure myself(yet?),but I have seen several threads,and photos about it......And something does look off?
Old 19 Sep 2013, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Energy Suspension Bushing - Lower Torque Mount - Is this correct?

those are defiantly not in all the way.

when I did mine I had to trim a slight amount from the inserts for them to sit all the way in the mounts. the inserts should be flush

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In the center of the mounts there is excess rubber from when they were molded. Trim it and it might fit better. Also use some polyurethane-safe lube to help them slide in.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I finally went 'duh' and got under there to look at the block to see how the set-up mates and discovered that the bushing does, indeed, fit sung as is because the thread receiving end on the engine sticks out about .45 of a inch (I was imagining it was a near flush fit.)

In other words, the ES bushing *appears* to be designed to go right up against the block, in addition to filling the voids in the stock torque arm. Makes sense.

Now I'll climb under there and see if it's melted after driving it around like that.

BTW--got all the ES done on the front end control arms and sway bar, with new tie rods, ball joints, and bearings in the hubs (they were rusty.) The steering and ride is tighter than Jack Benny and a dime. Woo!

Full report to follow once I finish the rear.
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by greeley; 25 Sep 2013 at 10:02 am.