• 1 Post By randyincctx
  • 1 Post By randyincctx
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default REAR sway bar bushings...

I've gone way dummy here. How do you get the rear sway bar bushings on the bar? (2002 PT Base, of course with a rear sway bar.)

Got my Energy Suspension kit, finishing the rear. Everything looks good--BBQ'd the old bushings out of the Watts links and the sway bar mounts. Good to go tomorrow. But the bushings for the *sway bar to axle*? They've got these wrap over brackets that enclose the bushings on the bar, with a tab to tuck into the axle, then bolt down... how the hey do you get the old bushings out and the new ones in? I'm guessing it obvious because no one has asked.

Do I bend the wrap over tab to "unlock" the bracket from the sway bar? Doesn't seem right.... I'd probably f* it up too... help?
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: REAR sway bar bushings...

They should just come off/out,they're probably just stuck to it like glue....Heres a basic blow-up of the parts assembly diagram:

PT_STOCK_SWAYBAR_REAR.jpg
greeley likes this.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: REAR sway bar bushings...

ah--I've got a weirdo bracket! It's got a fold over tab on top that locks both pieces together over the bushing... aftermarket?

Damn.

Looks like me and Mr Dremel are going to be cutting those tabs off tomorrow... geez.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wraparound.jpg (75.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by greeley; 05 Oct 2013 at 09:47 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: REAR sway bar bushings...

Nope;That's definately stock....And from the looks of it those are 'stock original',so there as old as your PT Cruiser!
greeley likes this.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The tabs must be bent to remove and replace with your new bushing and then re-bend the tab. Be care so as not to break it off on bend enough to just remove and replace the bushings. There is really very little stress in that area of the sway bar it is only to hold the bar in horizontal position on the axle nothing more.
greeley likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Oct 2013, 09:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: REAR sway bar bushings...

If the tab doesn't have any play,so you can shift it left,or right to make it disengage.....I say it's OK to bend the top tab,and if it does break it shouldn't be a big problem,as long as you put them together with the bolt when remounted.....Then again,I could be wrong.lol(see above post!)

wraparound.jpg
greeley likes this.

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Oct 2013 at 09:55 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You spotted the devil. I was sitting there for a while going 'I *must* be missing something here... maybe it's a Chinese puzzle? Maybe it just slides off somehow?...'

I'll *try* bending it back tomorrow--thick metal there and I don't have a bench vise, soooo... maybe I'll make it conform to the manual and cut the tab off? I'm a big believer in following instructions. Make it look like the drawing.

And yes--if nothing else, it's original. You should see the rear shocks I just took off. Chrysler gas shocks, with *plastic* top sleeves. Only 200,000+ miles on those bad boys. I'm going with Monroe--they believe in metal.

**edit**

One nice thing to say--the bell crank is in good shape--no bend in the bolt, and the ball joints on the Watts links are OK--the rubber is a little frayed, but not broken.

I am consistently surprised by what I find. This car has been to h*ll and back (no snow or salty roads tho) and most everything except the rubber and plastic has held up well, despite my neglect. The clear coat on the paint *just* started to fail (paint is last on my list.)

Next month I'll be tearing down the head to overhaul the valve train. That should be *interesting.*

Last edited by greeley; 05 Oct 2013 at 10:19 pm.