Advertisements
Front End Shakes

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2013, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front End Shakes

Howdy! I'm new to the forums and I have a question.

I have a 01 cruiser that makes a shaking sound, almost like the lugs are loose on the front wheels but they are not, when I do about 40,60, and 75-80mph (and yes 80mph is the speed limit here in Texas). I have my wheel turned to the left or right just a little to keep my car straight in a straight line and it makes a rattling sound and it almost shakes the whole car and I can feel it really bad through my hand on the steering wheel when going 60mph. When I make a decent turn into a corner doing those speeds it will stop making the noise and shaking the whole car. I took it to a mechanic and he drove it, and said I needed a front stabilizer bar and that would fix the problem. My tires are also in bad shape and planning on getting new ones pretty soon, but need the front end fix before I get them. I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem, and could possibly confirm that it is indeed a front stabilizer bad I need.

Thanks!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 10:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Front End Shakes

get the tires first. tires are the most common for what you describe and you say you need them anyways. usually i recommend rotating the front and back and seeing if the noise moves, but if the tires are all old, it might not help.

my front end did that a little and it was a combination of a worn ball joint and a worn outer tie rod. you can jack up the front and yank up and down on the tierod to see if there is any play in it. for the balljoint it is hard to verify it has play in it unless you unbolt the 2 strut bolts from the steering knuckle. with those out you can lift the knuckle up and down. if there's play, it needs replacing.
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 12 Oct 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 11:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

mine felt like a shaking feeling in the steering wheel with a slight repetitive knocking sound that could also be felt
Old 12 Oct 2013, 07:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Front End Shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamm5k View Post
I took it to a mechanic and he drove it, and said I needed a front stabilizer bar and that would fix the problem. My tires are also in bad shape and planning on getting new ones pretty soon, but need the front end fix before I get them. I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem, and could possibly confirm that it is indeed a front stabilizer bad I need.
I could understand if the mechanic told you,you needed new bushings & end-links on your stabilizer bar....But,for him to tell you a new stabilizer bar would fix the problem!?(Maybe if you run around hitting curbs with your PT,like Chromenut!)...IMO;I personally wouldn't take a bicycle back to that mechanic!......I'm gonna agree with Rob on this one;I had the same problem with my Ford Ranger,and it turned out to be the tires.....You might be able to check them by jacking up each wheel,and spin it to check for ANY anomalies,or out-of-roundness.

Last edited by randyincctx; 12 Oct 2013 at 07:51 pm.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your input guys! I will buy some new tires, more than likely some pirelli's, but if I still have problems after I buy the new tires I will let y'all know!
Old 05 Feb 2014, 11:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your problem almost sounds like an alignment issue. You should always get an alignment after installing new tires. In fact, you can try rotating your tires to the back and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't it's probably not the tires.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Front End Shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrider View Post
Your problem almost sounds like an alignment issue. You should always get an alignment after installing new tires. In fact, you can try rotating your tires to the back and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't it's probably not the tires.
THIS^^^^

If you know that your tires are bad, why wouldn't you start with new tires and an alignment first?
Then, go from there!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!