Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which tire size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2013, 04:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Which tire size?

I'm about in the need for new tires. I have an '05 Touring with the 195/65x15 tires. They have performed just great. A friend of mine has a set of 16" rims (but need tires) and he says I would have better luck with handling and such if I bought those rims and had 205/55x16s mounted. My sister has an '01 (limited) with those rims and size tires, but I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two cars in how they drive and handle. Would it be worth my $$$ outlay for the "upgrade"? Since both cars seem to drive identically I am a little hesitant. Thanks in advance for any opinions/help.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which tire size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
I'm about in the need for new tires. I have an '05 Touring with the 195/65x15 tires. They have performed just great. A friend of mine has a set of 16" rims (but need tires) and he says I would have better luck with handling and such if I bought those rims and had 205/55x16s mounted. My sister has an '01 (limited) with those rims and size tires, but I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two cars in how they drive and handle. Would it be worth my $$$ outlay for the "upgrade"? Since both cars seem to drive identically I am a little hesitant. Thanks in advance for any opinions/help.
If you like the looks of the wheels then do it but if not you already have the answer on the other aspect.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Which tire size?

Thanks, Busted_PT. I'm not worried so much about the looks but just that the rims and tires perform. If you feel that driving will be so similar than just the new tires on my old rims will be just fine. I don't need the chrome rims. The car now has 78,400 miles on it and is just used primarily to work and back (about 23 miles per day.) Thanks for your opinion.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't know about the tires alone ours came with the 16's, I changed the tires to a 205 50 16 and added the Eibach sway bars and I love it! Nothing like stock but it was the two together that made the differance not just the tires.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 07:30 am
Senior Cruiser

I went from factory 15's with hubcaps to chrome factory 16's on my 2009. Noticed no difference other then looks.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does tire size dramatically affect handling? I bought my PT a few months ago. It's got 18" Momo Rims with some really wide low profile tires. They look cool enough, even though it's not me at all, but I suspected (and confirmed by shop) that the tires are so wide they grab the changing road surfaces causing the car to pull in odd directions. For example: when I pull to the side of the road before turing right. As soon as that front right tire drops off the main pavement onto the rougher shoulder surface it yanks the car to the right. Grooved roads are a nightmare. Shop said everything looks nice and tight underneath and it's the tires that are doing it. Sound right to you guys?

If you're in the Austin, Texas area and want to trade me your stock rims and tires please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backup 6.6.13 2075.jpg (87.6 KB, 21 views)