PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Disk brake ebrake trouble

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2013, 06:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Disk brake ebrake trouble

I have an 03 DC disk rear brakes and the e brake doesn't work at all. Just curious what I am going to find. I'm hoping to just find bad pads, not a bunch of rusty and broken junk. Has anyone done this job yet, and if so what did you find?

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 29 Oct 2013, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Disk brake ebrake trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
I have an 03 DC disk rear brakes and the e brake doesn't work at all. Just curious what I am going to find. I'm hoping to just find bad pads, not a bunch of rusty and broken junk. Has anyone done this job yet, and if so what did you find?
You will find drum brakes inside the rotor hat.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hopefully you're e-brake cable isn't seized up. If so, you will have to remove your carpeting to get to it. Its a PITA but that's what happened to me.

Like Busted said, the e-brake is a separate assembly. Your brake pedal controls the hydraulic calipers. Your e-brake uses a cable that goes to a drum brake type assembly inside the rotor (that's why your rear rotors look so different from the fronts).
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I found my pads gone which seemed weird for ebrakes. The adjustment is a star wheel and very touchy. Too little and they're ineffective. Too much and you'll go through pads.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBorg View Post
I found my pads gone which seemed weird for ebrakes. The adjustment is a star wheel and very touchy. Too little and they're ineffective. Too much and you'll go through pads.
Thats really what i'm hoping. Just the pads are bad.

Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
Hopefully you're e-brake cable isn't seized up. If so, you will have to remove your carpeting to get to it. Its a PITA but that's what happened to me.

Like Busted said, the e-brake is a separate assembly. Your brake pedal controls the hydraulic calipers. Your e-brake uses a cable that goes to a drum brake type assembly inside the rotor (that's why your rear rotors look so different from the fronts).
Nothing seems seized. I know how everything works, I am just worried about the unseen. I'd hate to get the disks off and find out all the springs and the cable are shot.

Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Disk brake ebrake trouble

If you want an idea of how the process goes,I think seeing someone doing it makes things alot easier,sometimes......So,if you haven't seen this video,it couldn't hurt to watch it.

Busted_PT likes this.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 12:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I know you guys are trying to be helpfull and I do thatk you for that. But I Have taken apart more cars then most people. I've work in auto salvage yards most of my life. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, and I hope I don't. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their rear brakes off and found a complete mess. I have found this on some cars that sit for a while. Although my car doesn't sit, being an automatic there is little or no reason for me to use the Ebrake. I want to get it ready to throw it around when the snow comes. I couldn't do it last year and didn't think about it till the other day when I installed led revese lights and I wanted to see if they were ok. I out the Ebrake on turned the key to on and got out. the car didn't want to hold. Now it's time to fix them.

Old 30 Oct 2013, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
I know you guys are trying to be helpfull and I do thatk you for that. But I Have taken apart more cars then most people. I've work in auto salvage yards most of my life. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, and I hope I don't. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their rear brakes off and found a complete mess. I have found this on some cars that sit for a while. Although my car doesn't sit, being an automatic there is little or no reason for me to use the Ebrake. I want to get it ready to throw it around when the snow comes. I couldn't do it last year and didn't think about it till the other day when I installed led revese lights and I wanted to see if they were ok. I out the Ebrake on turned the key to on and got out. the car didn't want to hold. Now it's time to fix them.
Then you should expect to see what you have usually seen, based on mileage and age. They react to these things like all others.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Oct 2013, 05:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When mine seized I couldn't feel it in the hand brake at all. The friction material delaminated from the shoes and were sitting in the bottom of the drum. But most likely you just need to adjust the tension. But hey, if your e-brake ends up to be FUBAR'd like mine was, at least I can help you out with that