PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CV Axle, Transmission seal leaks

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2013, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CV Axle, Transmission seal leaks

Hey everyone, I really hope someone can point me in the right direction regarding this issue. I've been researching for the last month and a half but can't find an answer to my unique it seems issue.

I had a boot tear on my passenger side about 1.5 months ago. So I did the logical thing and I replaced both CV axles using Duralasts from AutoZone. I did the driver side. Then I did the passenger side. After a couple of days of my wife driving the car (it's hers) I noticed that the subframe was wet with transmission fluid.

So the next weekend I pulled the CV out and replaced the transmission seal. Test drove it and it was still leaking. The next weekend I swapped out the axles. It still leaks. The following weekend I dropped the transmission pan because I'm pretty sure the fluid was never changed at 140k miles. So I changed the filter and replaced the fluid. That didn't help.

Next I went to Napa and bought a transmission seal. I replaced that seal and it's still leaking. I don't know what could be wrong. The axle is seated in the transmission, everything is hooked up right, I installed the splines into the transmission with the gap on the snap ring up. I just can't figure it out. Before I changed the CVs, the passenger side NEVER leaked. Once the car was warmed up one day I got it up on the ramps while it was running, and moved the axle in and out at the transmission and watched the transmission fluid seep out from the seal....

I went and bought a cv axle at the junk yard today. I measured the diameters on that end and they are identical to the Duralast, everything is the same.

Does anyone have a clue what the heck is going on with this passenger side axle????

Thanks in advance, I'm at my wits end.

*Edit, I don't think I added the car's info. 2002 A/T w/o ABS.

Last edited by 1stick3pedals; 01 Nov 2013 at 07:40 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2013, 01:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: CV Axle, Transmission seal leaks

is it possible it is leaking from between the housing and the seal(as opposed to seal and the axle)? i used a little anaerobic sealer on the case opening before i installed the seals into the trans and then i wiped a little grease on the rubber part of the seal before inserting the axle.

i'd say do it one last time like this, and be really careful guiding it in there.

Last edited by rob342; 02 Nov 2013 at 01:56 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
is it possible it is leaking from between the housing and the seal(as opposed to seal and the axle)? i used a little anaerobic sealer on the case opening before i installed the seals into the trans and then i wiped a little grease on the rubber part of the seal before inserting the axle.

i'd say do it one last time like this, and be really careful guiding it in there.
It's 100% coming from the seal and the axle unfortunately =S
Old 10 Nov 2013, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I may have found the solution to my leaking axle seal problem, will post up after it's been driven for a week.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think I was able to solve my problem finally. It's been a week since I installed the sleeve and some 250+ miles commuting highway and some rough back roads. No leak as of tonight. I'm going to do a little write up below in the event that anyone else ends up in the situation I was in.

First off, I stumbled across an Output Shaft Repair Sleeve while looking around the parts for the car on Rock Auto. I figured I might as well give it a shot for $20.
More Information for NATIONAL 99157

The sleeve sitting on the edge of the output shaft diameter.

Output shaft diameter.

Output shaft diameter + redi-sleeve.

The sleeve on the shaft and ready to go back into the transmission.

1 week later, it looks like a little liquid on there, but nothing has dripped down all week. I'm sooooooo happy that this leak has finally been fixed!

After pulling the axle out 6 times I should be set with this car other than oil changes for a while.

Thanks for looking!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 04:41 am
Senior Cruiser

1 stick; excellent pictures and write-up. Thanks for helping others. And, oooh so clean!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
1 stick; excellent pictures and write-up. Thanks for helping others. And, oooh so clean!
Yes, I agree with pt06. But sad that the axles are undersized and need you to spend $20 per too fix.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Nov 2013, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Thanks! I'm hoping it does help someone that may end up in the same situation I was in. 2 months of hell lol trying to solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yes, I agree with pt06. But sad that the axles are undersized and need you to spend $20 per too fix.
I don't know that they were undersize because I bought an original and they had the same dimensions. Maybe the surface smoothness was worn out or there may have been grooves in the output shaft from the seal. I'd rather pay $20 to fix the axle for another 100k+ miles than to have to deal with leaking tranny fluid and checking it every couple of days. I didn't find much regarding this specific issue so I'm not sure what went wrong on this car. Just bad luck I suppose.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 03:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello not a PT Cruiser guy but had to add to this thread for others. I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon that did this same trick to me. Bought new axles because my boots were leaking grease and wife would hear a "noise when she turned". Installed complete axles from Autozone of the same brand. Developed new leak from the CV shaft into transmission. Bought new $20 seal. Still leaked but slower. Looked at old seal and found nothing that stuck out and bit me on the nose. Pulled shaft inspected and used a caliper to help look for differences and found none. Decided to install old shaft to see if it would leak, it did not. The old shaft was much harder to replace the "C" clip whereas the new one was super easy. The pressed on carrier bearing might be not pushed on far enough. So off to Autozone for a refund for both shafts. The other "new" shaft has a hole in it from shipping. The re-used box came with two holes in it that my finger could pass through without touching the side and they were where the boots sat in the box. This was not good but still only 1.5 days not 2 months! The Avalon drips right on to the exhaust so you know very quickly it's leaking. I found out we have a local re-builder that will do MY shafts for even less than AZ. Now I will never buy another set of rebuilt shafts. The only good is I got this repair so "down" it's not even funny.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.

Hey 1stick Im so glad you put this info up. I have gone through three seals and taken this stupid axle out 4 times and it keeps leaking. Saw your post and went and spent $35 so i can have the national 99157 now so I can get this done. Was about to replace the drive axle again. but im going to try this first and must say for the first time in a few weeks im hopeful for a proper repair. Thanks again and Ill post once done if it stops the leak. Keep on cruisin friends.