Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01' cruiser turning right problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2013, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01' cruiser turning right problems

So me and my buddy were looking at my girlfriends car because she was complaining that her car was making a clacking sound and when turning right it rumbled. So we decided the clacking was a bad strut which we will replace soon, but the rumble is a mystery, we were idling and turning it far right and it dropped it's idle rpm, when the turning right the sound is louder with the greater inertia, but you can only really hear it when coasting. Anyone got any clue what is going on

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Nov 2013 at 08:23 pm. Reason: family forum
Old 09 Nov 2013, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01' cruiser turning right problems

When any of the accessories (steering pump, A/C etc.) use power, the computer, through sensors and controllers, adjust the idle to compensate for the loss of that power. If it doesn't, your going to hear/feel the power steering pump or A/C straining the engine as the idle drops. The IAC (Idle Air Controller) is one of those sensors. It can be cleaned to replaced pretty easily. It on the back of the throttle body. Can't hurt to try and clean it.

This is from a search on Google:

The engine idle speed is monitored and controlled by the Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) which uses the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve to regulate the idle speed. The valve controls the amount of air that is allowed to bypass the intake throttle plate, which enables the engine idle speed to remain constant even though the engine loads change during idle. This is especially true when electrical consumers such as the air conditioner are used.

P.S. Welcome to the forum
Old 09 Nov 2013, 08:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help, so you don't think a PS pumps bad, it's just the valve? And thanks man, I actually recognize you're username and signature, I've looked at a bunch of cruiser posts for her and see you a lot, so ima trust you on this, I'll try to post back with the jobs done.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not saying the pump can't be going bad too. Mine and several others on the forum had the steering pump go bad but usually all at once. Was good one second and failed the next, and when it does go, it's like trying to steer a Mac truck.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey man I'm a bit confused them, so what would be making the rumble when's turning right, what I'm getting is the reason that there's is a RPM drop would be because the valve
Old 09 Nov 2013, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The rumble could be the strain on the power steering pump or a simple as a bad wheel bearing. Dealing with one thing at a time, try and get the idle stable.

Tags
engine, rumble, strut, turn, wheel