Passenger side squeak when braking at low speeds

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2014, 08:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Passenger side squeak when braking at low speeds

Hi. I have a 2008 PT Cruiser (VIN B) with 71,154 miles. When I purchased the car used (43,000 miles), the noise was very noticeable. It was pulsing and squeaking when coming to a stop. I didn't worry about it because brake and suspension work is easy. After replacing the pads and rotors, the noise and pulsing pretty much went away but you can still notice it a little bit. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side only. It feels like a warped rotor but I'm not sure since I replaced them 2 years ago.

I also want to add that I hear a lot of squeaking when going over a bump. A lot of people on here have found that is caused by bad sway bar end links. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 08:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Passenger side squeak when braking at low speeds

Based on your description it sounds like it could be the sway bar bushings,the end links,lower control arms,or long shot struts.
Best method is to try and pin-point where it is coming from,by having someone bounce the front end,while you try to locate the source of the squeak.
Superman1984 likes this.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 01:05 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Passenger side squeak when braking at low speeds

I fixed the pulse/squeak. What I did was clean the brakes and put brake grease on the edges of the brake pads and slide pins. I test drove the car and it stops smoothly now.

I'm still not sure where the suspension noise is coming from. It is most noticeable when going over a speed bump. I bounced on the driver and passenger door frames and couldn't really hear it. I'm just going to replace the control arms, sway bar end links, shocks, and struts at 102,000 miles. The control arm bushings look like they're tearing away from the metal and one of the boots on the lower ball joint is popped. I know the shocks and struts are supposed to be changed every 50,000 miles but I'm going to replace them at 100,000 miles because I don't mind my car riding like an old school Cadillac and I want to get my money's worth out of my shocks. I figure I'll just replace everything at once.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 01:38 am
Young Cruiser

Think about polyurethane endlinks and sway bar bushings as an option when changing them. They are tuffer and should last longer that the rubber replacements. Also the control arms, if you have time and patience to press out the control arm bushings it would be great to use polys in them as well. I did the same to a friends own this summer and it was hard with the big bushing to scrape off the rubber from the metal sleeve that is bolted to the frame. The ball jt would have to be pressed out as well, but there is a kit you should be able to borrow from tha parts store.

Word to the wise if it is your daily driver only do one side at a time and you can find the parts on Amazon and the web.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

With a product such as WD-40, squirt any suspension pieces that you think might be making the noise, but do them one at a time with a day or extended ride in between. You should be able to pinpoint the culprit that way and then inspect deeper to see if a more permanent fix with new parts is needed. This is easily done if you have ramps, A little less easy if you just have a jack (plus jack stand(s) for safety).

In general, rubber bushings and/or end links tend to torque and remain silent, while poly pieces will tend to squeak because they don't torque but rub. There's a degree of maintenance with either choice. The main advantage of poly is it allows the suspension to work harder with less slop.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 01:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'll probably get rubber bushings. The sway bar appears to have factory original polyurethane end links. I did a little bit of research and found that polyurethane is better for performance while rubber is better for comfort. I prefer a soft, squishy, comfortable ride rather than tight handling. It's not a race car. It's a PT Cruiser; not a PT Racer.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 08:21 am
Regular Cruiser

I just wanted to do a follow up so others can fix the same problem if they have it. Basically, After replacing the sway bar end links, I haven't heard the suspension squeak when driving over speed bumps.

The brake rotors apparently had surface irregularities brand new out of the box. After resurfacing my rotors, the car stops smooth like a brand new car.

I thought the problem was more complicated than uneven rotors because the car shook before and after I did the front brakes.