PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2014, 10:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Post Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

I was trolling around,and discovered a post on TurboDodge forum about this 'mod',and wondered if anyone had tried this on a PT Cruiser's front sway bar,or if it was even a viable application;The car ('89 LeBaron GT) seems to have a similar stock suspension as the PT Cruisers.....It definately looked & sounded interesting,to say the least!
Got a 'spare' front stabilizer bar laying around?....and a little time & parts?
It actually looks like something we'd see Nitro toying with in the 'Laboratory';I've seen pictures of the "Double-D Rear Sway"(my nickname for it!),and he used similar joints to link them together.
Anyway,for those who haven't seen this type set up on a front sway bar;Here's the post/thread(may need to sign up to view all posts):

Upgrading Jbody suspension - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...spension-done-

Heim_Joint_Sway_Bar01.jpg

heimassembly.jpg

heimwpolybushing.jpg

installedheim.jpg

A seller on Ebay has even manufactured a 'weld-on' version: Upgraded Weld on Swaybar Endlinks Sway Heim Joints Poly Bushings Link Kits | eBay

Last edited by randyincctx; 12 Jan 2014 at 10:29 am.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 02:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

BUMP.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 01:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

OK....I'm starting to think: #1-Nobody knows WTH I'm talking about,even with the links & photos,or: #2-Everyone thinks it wouldn't work for a PT Cruiser,even though the LeBarons ground clearance,LCA & S/B set-up is very similar to the PTs?
Old 23 Jan 2014, 01:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

I have my own solid adjustable front end links. You will just have to keep popping into my thread to see them!

The way your pictures you posted is the hard way to do it? There is a different way and actually IMO a better way with higher quality componets.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Jan 2014 at 02:07 am.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also to be very clear, if you are an individual that does not like addition unwanted sounds from your PT then doing this kind of sway bar up grade is not for you. You will get clicks rattles, popes, bangs, etc.. With stiffness also comes noise.
This mod is really for looks and the claims of feeling a difference over just polyurethane bushings,,
You can achieve the same results without adjustment or fancy looking rod ends by simply ordering a 90 or higher duromter polyurethane end-link bushing set for stock end link replacements.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

Like I said,I was originally Googling 'PT Cruiser Front Say Bar',and when I switched to "images",I saw one of those photos,and it was interesting enough to make me sign up for 'Turbo Dodge Forum'......You were on your vacation at the time of posting,and I'd never seen that kind of set-up before.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Like I said,I was originally Googling 'PT Cruiser Front Say Bar',and when I switched to "images",I saw one of those photos,and it was interesting enough to make me sign up for 'Turbo Dodge Forum'......You were on your vacation at the time of posting,and I'd never seen that kind of set-up before.
I would say that if you spent the time and relocated the stock battery to the rear and passenger side you would get more handling benefits then with this mod?
randyincctx likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Front Stabilizer Bar w/Spherical Rod End Bearings(Heim/Rose Joint)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I would say that if you spent the time and relocated the stock battery to the rear and passenger side you would get more handling benefits then with this mod?
Or a different length hardened bolts,in lieu of the stock bolts included in most of the OEM replacement end-links kits......It did seem that idea for the SRE end-links might be alot of work,for little to no benefit;Other than saying the old: "It feels like my car handles better with those!",and zero testing to prove it!(Hmmm,familiar theme to strut-bars!lmbo)