Advertisements
Steering Rack Oversteers - Need Advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Steering Rack Oversteers - Need Advice

When I was under my PT this weekend, I notice shiny rub marks inside both front wheel well. It appears both front tires are rubbing when turning both left and right. And my tires are standard 205/55/16 size.

At first this puzzled me. Usually cars oversteer left or right but not both and not on both front tires. But then I remembered that when I changed out the inner tie rods ends on my Sebring convertible, there were vinyl bushings/shims that went on the shaft behind the inner tie rod ends that limited how far the car could steer in either direction. And of course, my PT has "newish" inner tie rod ends installed by the previous owner. Could my shims have been left off during this earlier work?

I can find no description or image of this on the internet so I was planning to go to a salvage yard and yank a PT inner tire rod end to see if there is indeed supposed to be a vinyl shims behind it that limit how far the car steers. But then I thought that maybe some of my PT brothers and sisters might let me know if this is the case before I spend more quality time beneath another wrecked PT.

Your help and constructive input is appreciated.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jan 2014 at 12:13 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Steering Rack Oversteers - Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
When I was under my PT this weekend, I notice shiny rub marks inside both front wheel well. It appears both front tires are rubbing when turning both left and right. And my tires are standard 205/55/16 size.

At first this puzzled me. Usually cars oversteer left or right but not both and not on both front tires. But then I remembered that when I changed out the inner tie rods ends on my Sebring convertible, there were vinyl bushings/shims that went on the shaft behind the inner tie rod ends that limited how far the car could steer in either direction. And of course, my PT has "newish" inner tie rod ends installed by the previous owner. Could my shims have been left off during this earlier work?

I can find no description or image of this on the internet so I was planning to go to a salvage yard and yank a PT inner tire rod end to see if there is indeed supposed to be a vinyl shims behind it that limit how far the car steers. But then I thought that maybe some of my PT brothers and sisters might let me know if this is the case before I spend more quality time beneath another wrecked PT.

Your help and constructive input is appreciated.
i have read on here that some years had tighter turning radius's than others
Turning radius data for various PT models

my car has 195/65 15's stock. no rubbing for me, and my car has the tightest turning radius of all years and models according to the link above. maybe the rack was replaced with a rack off a manual trans 01-02 pt. if that is the case, just enjoy the 3' tighter turning and don't worry about it. unless it's making your tires wear funny or it reeeealllly bothers you, i wouldn't give it much thought.
pluminator likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 13 Jan 2014 at 03:33 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 04:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I believe 195/65/15 is stock.....Me thinks your tires are too big :-D lol
Old 13 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
I believe 195/65/15 is stock.....Me thinks your tires are too big :-D lol
No my friend. The 2001 Limited version came with 16 inch true Chrome wheels and 205/55/16 was the size of the factory tires.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have changed both inner and outer tie rods on my Cruiser and there were no shims/stops that went anywhere in there...
I would agree with the post above that maybe someone changed out the rack and used one for a manual trans car not the correct for your car auto trans rack. They have different amounts of throw, the manual trans takes up less space on the left side of the car so the front wheels can turn slightly more.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I have changed both inner and outer tie rods on my Cruiser and there were no shims/stops that went anywhere in there...
I would agree with the post above that maybe someone changed out the rack and used one for a manual trans car not the correct for your car auto trans rack. They have different amounts of throw, the manual trans takes up less space on the left side of the car so the front wheels can turn slightly more.
Thanks, Joel.

In that case, I may pull some of those "stops" off of a Sebring convertible and use them on my PT. The oversteer doesn't seem to be that bad. I believe a half or quarter inch stop on each side will do the job.

Or I can just remember not to cut the wheels too tight. Of course, one of the things I was really liking about my PT was that almost zero-turn radius I have now. Too bad it's not supposed to be that way.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Jan 2014 at 08:24 pm.