PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OLD RIM INFO; sry if duplicated...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default OLD RIM INFO; sry if duplicated...

B.P. 5X100; Size 16" X 7"; Offset +42MM; Backspace 5.68"

I believe the GT wheels are a +39mm offset and the 16" are probably the same. I think you can mount a +42mm wheel which puts the center about an 1/8" farther in and there should be room for the extra width, too. The worst case, you would have to use 5mm spacers but I don't think you will need them.

(above pasted in from research)
LOOKING to get a set of 4 rims for Winter 2014 (next year) but am really confused with the spacing stuff and offset. I got info which production cars use the 5 x 100. (VW; NEONS, etc...) Are there numbers using ENGLISH (inches) tape measure measurements that I should seek out AND are there numbers that make it a NO FIT? INTEND on using 16" P205 55 R16; NOW stock Alum. rims. PLEASE be kind; this is my first foray into deciphering METRIC wheels
with THEIR offset decodings...

kctobyjoe
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:14 pm
Banned

Default Re: OLD RIM INFO; sry if duplicated...

Is there a question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post

B.P. 5X100; Size 16" X 7"; Offset +42MM; Backspace 5.68"

I believe the GT wheels are a +39mm offset and the 16" are probably the same. I think you can mount a +42mm wheel which puts the center about an 1/8" farther in and there should be room for the extra width, too. The worst case, you would have to use 5mm spacers but I don't think you will need them.

(above pasted in from research)
LOOKING to get a set of 4 rims for Winter 2014 (next year) but am really confused with the spacing stuff and offset. I got info which production cars use the 5 x 100. (VW; NEONS, etc...) Are there numbers using ENGLISH (inches) tape measure measurements that I should seek out AND are there numbers that make it a NO FIT? INTEND on using 16" P205 55 R16; NOW stock Alum. rims. PLEASE be kind; this is my first foray into deciphering METRIC wheels
with THEIR offset decodings...

kctobyjoe
Old 21 Jan 2014, 03:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

As a rule, any wheel specs that you find with inches and fractions are going to be rear wheel drive, old school wheels from the 1960's and will be called "backspace". So you can file all those away until you buy a classic muscle car someday. They tend to be negative offsets. (That's in general but may not be absolutely true in all cases.)

Wheel diameters and widths will always be in inches, though, no matter if the wheels are RWD, FWD, imports or domestics. Most cars today are positive offset and not just the FWD's but also the late model RWD's. These tend to be spec'ed in millimeters of offset.

Upsizing wheels and tires is only confusing at first but is actually very basic once the concept jells in your brain. Check these charts out (or copy/print them)

In theory, any wheel offset will fit on any hub with the same bolt pattern IF THERE IS NO FENDER OR BODYWORK to fit in between. The solution, when there is a fender to contend with, is to start with a tire/wheel combo that is mounted and known to fit. Then measure how much clearance there is to move or add inside and outside.
CREWZIN and InfernoGT like this.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Affirmed!

My mentioning of INCH measurements are because I own MOSTLY English (inch) measuring devices

It is SIMPLE ENOUGH to translate to metric but again I am NOT from ASIA or ENGLAND so first choice is INCH measurements

I will print out and study the info you gave me; especially when I will make a salvage yard trip ;-)

kctobyjoe
Old 28 Jan 2014, 04:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

16 Blue Wheel Mazda 3 5 6 CL TL Legend Integra Cavalier PT Cruiser TSX 5 Lug Rim | eBay

This is what I was looking for; I wouldn't shell out $388 for these beauties cause I can't but this listing has probably HUNDREDS of cars that come with this bolt pattern. YAY!!!

kctobyjoe
Old 28 Jan 2014, 04:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

You have to look at hub bore size also when looking for wheels from a different car. The PT Cruiser has a bore size of 57.1. The ones you posted above include the rings to adapt to the correct hub size. Plus the ones you listed are dual bolt pattern. That is why they fit so many cars.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 28 Jan 2014 at 04:32 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:00 am
Regular Cruiser

I see Ray...I MAY be insane enough to spend the $388 to get those rims; they ARE beauties and they would match my paint scheme and probably be a lot more rugged...those would be my summer tire rims for sure. The original AL rims would become my winter tire ones for 2014. I am getting Blizzak WS 70s for the 2014 snow season...I experienced them before; they are stellar!

kctobyjoe