Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Watts Link or Watts Link Bushing?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Watts Link or Watts Link Bushing?

So I'm getting that dreadful clunking noise that surprise, is coming from the Watts Linkage (my car is a 2001 Cruiser, and its well over 100k miles). I felt the area and noticed my bushings on the Watts Linkage (or is it around that area, I didn't really have much visibility) are completely crumbled.

So I know I need new parts - but I'm not 100% sure what to order. I see a ton of articles talking about replacing the Watts Linkage itself. But I don't know if that will solve my issue - seeing as the bushings are crumbling.

Do I have a bad Watts Linkage? Or would I be better off replacing only the bushings? I can find the watts linkage with ease, but I'm not too sure on the bushings. I don't have a terrible amount of money to spend right now, but I still want to do this the proper way.

Any advice is much appreciated on what you recommend to do
Old 23 Jan 2014, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Watts Link or Watts Link Bushing?

OK, moved it to the Suspension section under General.

The picture below is from the 2001-2003 Repair Manual. You may be talking about the Bell Crank and not the upper/lower Watts Linkage and I don't see any bushings to replace.

Watts-Link or Bellcrank Replacement

Older thread:... Watts-Link or Bellcrank Replacement

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Jan 2014 at 01:28 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for that pic. Yeah, I had to take a look at it. I think the bushings/rubber parts are attached to the watts link arms...I think they are called Lateral Links on RockAuto - I went ahead and ordered new ones, as they are crumbled to pieces pretty much - but I can take the rods and clank them, producing the sounds. I also went ahead and put in an order for the Watts Link/Bell Crank piece as well. Might as well replace all three pieces if I'm going to have the car jacked up.

It's funny how the littlest things can make the most annoying/loudest noise. I cannot wait to get these pieces replaced!
Old 23 Jan 2014, 04:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

good move on ordering all three parts. When I replaced them in mine I was surprised at how much tighter the rear of the car felt. Mine wasn't making any noise but the ball joint covers were torn. I also installed urethane bushings in the lateral links since I had them from the Energy Suspension bushing kit, they were the only two bushings I hadn't replaced in the car.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 23 Jan 2014, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

May I recommend getting a new Bell crank bolt and nut as well.
This is not normally done and should be.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Mar 2014, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did this myself on a 2005 GT. I had at first ordered the Dorman watts link from RockAuto and after trying to detach the lateral links with a pickle fork I damaged one of the bushings... I find it hard to believe anyone could use a pickle fork to separate them without damaging the bushings. A 3 jaw puller may have been possible but a real PITA from underneath. Upon further inspection and reading on the forums I realized I probably should have just removed the watts link and lateral links as a whole before trying to detach them. Anyways, I then ordered Moog lateral links and put it all back together.

I'm curious which lateral links you ordered because the Moog bolt's hole for the cotter pin went a little too far past the castle nut for me on both links. I contacted Rock Auto and I'm exchanging the Dorman watts link, the holes were too far off center anyways, for a Moog. Hopefully it fixes it for me otherwise the Moog support guy just told me to put washers on them..

I'm actually looking forward to getting back under there because I forgot to jack up the axle a little bit before torquing the lateral links to the frame. I just torqued it all up and let it down. Probably not critical but worth the extra step.

Old 04 Apr 2014, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on these Watts links.. I had planned to return the Dorman at the top to RockAuto because the holes were so far off but the new Moog replacement I got doesn't look so hot either. The Moog's holes are centered in a way... more or less but they are pretty close to the edges making the amount of metal left over to hold the lateral links in place a little weak? What do you guys think? Is that enough metal to consider safe or should I consider returning the Moog as well?

Seriously... how hard is it to put a small circle in the middle of the large circle?

Last edited by Galactus; 04 Apr 2014 at 03:49 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 04:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I was wondering if I could get an opinion on these Watts links.. I had planned to return the Dorman at the top to RockAuto because the holes were so far off but the new Moog replacement I got doesn't look so hot either. The Moog's holes are centered in a way... more or less but they are pretty close to the edges making the amount of metal left over to hold the lateral links in place a little weak? What do you guys think? Is that enough metal to consider safe or should I consider returning the Moog as well?

Seriously... how hard is it to put a small circle in the middle of the large circle?
My guess is that the holes are spot on. It's just the casting that's a little oversized. Either way looks like plenty of meat so I wouldn't worry.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It really does not matter. There is so much wrong with the clearances of the stock watts system and attaching fasteners that even if they were off I doubt the effect would be a problem? IMHO you will be fine with either "bell crank" you choose to use!

Now if you want to really do it right..........

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Apr 2014 at 04:57 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It really does not matter. There is so much wrong with the clearances of the stock watts system and attaching fasteners that even if they were off I doubt the effect would be a problem? IMHO you will be fine with either "bell crank" you choose to use!

Now if you want to really do it right..........
Where did you get that beefy bell crank? And what is it supposed to fit on? That's very nice.

PS: I found it. It appears to be a one-off or prototype from Ravenworks.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Apr 2014 at 05:48 pm.