PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Control Arms. Nut Broke loose. Help!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Schleprock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2014, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Replacing Control Arms. Nut Broke loose. Help!

I need to replace my control arm bushings and last time we tackled this the nut inside of the frame broke loose. What would be the best way to tackle this. Im asumming either cutting the floor or the frame. Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Replacing Control Arms. Nut Broke loose. Help!

Here you go: Lower Control Arm (LCA) & Bushing R&R
Old 18 Feb 2014, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Control Arms. Nut Broke loose. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004PlatinumTurbo View Post
I need to replace my control arm bushings and last time we tackled this the nut inside of the frame broke loose. What would be the best way to tackle this. Im asumming either cutting the floor or the frame. Has anyone had this problem before?
There are some other people who posted about going through the floor to access the nut. Also I just posted on a knew bushing that will last a long time more than the stock one. Could be the last on she will ever need.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jun 2014, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm going through this and have gained some "experience" and pictures ... I'm new at this though. Here's my stuff.

I'll start by saying that if you are going to remove the rear vertical control arm bolt, it might be best to start with cutting out the access hole in the floor and spray the heck out of the threads with penetrating fluid 1st. I didn't, and I snapped a 1/2" socket wrench and broke the nut loose from the clip like a lot of other people here.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...1&d=1403228003

Cutting the hole with the 2-3/4" hole saw was actually pretty simple.. just don't go deep. The metal is pretty thin here, and if you go to deep you'll hit the underlying structure a little bit. Nothing serious because it's about the same shape, but you can also damage the threads to the bolt. I also found it was helpful to leave the guide bit out long when starting due to the angle(see the skip marks trailing off in the picture) and then backing it off after getting it started.
I ended up cutting the bolt and buying a replacement. The picture shows the upper half of the bolt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140616-00839.jpg (96.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140616-00844.jpg (97.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140616-00850.jpg (97.5 KB, 48 views)
UptownSport likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
I'm going through this and have gained some "experience" and pictures ... I'm new at this though. Here's my stuff.

I'll start by saying that if you are going to remove the rear vertical control arm bolt, it might be best to start with cutting out the access hole in the floor and spray the heck out of the threads with penetrating fluid 1st. I didn't, and I snapped a 1/2" socket wrench and broke the nut loose from the clip like a lot of other people here.

Cutting the hole with the 2-3/4" hole saw was actually pretty simple.. just don't go deep. The metal is pretty thin here, and if you go to deep you'll hit the underlying structure a little bit. Nothing serious because it's about the same shape, but you can also damage the threads to the bolt. I also found it was helpful to leave the guide bit out long when starting due to the angle(see the skip marks trailing off in the picture) and then backing it off after getting it started.
I ended up cutting the bolt and buying a replacement. The picture shows the upper half of the bolt
Were and how did you cut the bolt? Does it slide right out of the cage after cutting? I have drilled a hole and sprayed the crap out of it. I have even took a hammer and crowbar to the bolt to see if it would brake loose.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimez View Post
Were and how did you cut the bolt? Does it slide right out of the cage after cutting? I have drilled a hole and sprayed the crap out of it. I have even took a hammer and crowbar to the bolt to see if it would brake loose.
OH pain and misery! What have I done to deserve this?
I don't think penetrant is going to help loosen that that nut.
I had one do the same to me and if I had to do it again I would use a small torch to heat the nut. I have a acylene turbo torch with a small tip, it would heat the nut but it doesn't put out a large flame. Then you would have to grab the nut with channel locks or have the nut tack welded on two sides. But since you have all the penetrant in there now ???

If you break the bolt you will not have a choice but to cut it
I end up cuting mine off from below, it was no fun and over heated my sawzall
probably ruined it. If you don't cut it at the very top, if there is room) it will not let the lca come out.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Tags
bushings, control arm, lca, suspension