PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FRONT END NOISE

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2014, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Default FRONT END NOISE

Looked around a bit...my 2006 has 1xx,xxx miles; I get this metal against metal noise when making a turn but it goes away,
Since I GOT this in a winter for the ages I have NOT had a chance to check the front end
There is NO wobble until 75 mph; the wear on the tires is EVEN; NOTHING out of the ordinary...NO vibration...
Since I got this car in November...I wonder what WAS replaced in the front end if anything...this WAS a fleet car and downtime means tey can't make money! Other than the strut assemblies which will be replaced and obvious brake/rotor/wheel bearing parts; WHAT usually 'goes' on a PT. I'd rather replace BEFORE It takes a sh*t. NO SUPRISES that way !!!

kctobyjoe

Negative replys welcome
Old 13 Mar 2014, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: FRONT END NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
obvious brake/rotor/wheel bearing parts
You have it.
Since it's only when you turn, my guess would be bearings...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Mar 2014, 01:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

If it IS wheel bearings WHY is there NO front end shimmy at lower speeds and WHY is there NO obvious wear in the tires ?!?
In other posts I have been able to read their noise appears to be a broken/misaligned strut bar anti-sway mount
SINCE I have NOT been able to inspect the front end since purchase I am at a loss
IF what U say is correct; other than taking the assembly apart is there another way to diagnose the wheel bearings as the culprit? THEY are cheap enough and were on the bucket list for replacement.

kctobyjoe
Old 13 Mar 2014, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The wheel bearing won't give you a shimmy or no wear in the tires unless it's about to disintegrate. You have found your problem when it first started. You put a lot more weight on each wheel bearing when you turn so that bearing with more weight gives a grinding noise as it's about to fail.

You didn't say which way you turn when you hear the noise. To test if you don't know which one it is, Jack up the car, one side at a time. Grab the wheel top and bottom and shake, then grab each side and shake. The tire that moves either side to side or top to bottom has the bad bearing.

You should replace both sides when you do the work. If one bearing has gone bad, the other shouldn't be far behind.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
If it IS wheel bearings WHY is there NO front end shimmy at lower speeds and WHY is there NO obvious wear in the tires ?!?
In other posts I have been able to read their noise appears to be a broken/misaligned strut bar anti-sway mount
SINCE I have NOT been able to inspect the front end since purchase I am at a loss
IF what U say is correct; other than taking the assembly apart is there another way to diagnose the wheel bearings as the culprit? THEY are cheap enough and were on the bucket list for replacement.

kctobyjoe
I haven't seen shimmy or tire ware do to bearings. Although on occasions I have seen tire wobble on a jack by hand if bad enough. that's usually associated with tie rod or ball joints. Rour or grinding sounds are a classic sign. Especially when you have a come and go thing when turning the wheel one way or another. Check the rears as well. Spinning the back on a jack and checking for to much play. Front is harder to do. But if its not obvious by play in the bearing then look the brakes over for anything rubbing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2014, 02:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The wheel bearing won't give you a shimmy or any wear in the tires unless it's about to disintegrate. You have found your problem when it first started. (YAY!!!) You put a lot more weight on each wheel bearing when you turn so that bearing with more weight gives a grinding noise as it's about to fail.

You should replace both sides when you do the work. If one bearing has gone bad, the other shouldn't be far behind.
It is the left (clunking) and is profound there.
This of course is like so many other replacements; do them BOTH regardless how the other one is...like headlights; spark plugs etc... SOUND advice
Not quite weakest link syndrome but sound mechanical replacement; one is worn the other *is* going sooner or later and at 1xx,xxx miles !!!

kctobyjoe
Old 13 Mar 2014, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I get this metal against metal noise when making a turn but it goes away,

It is the left (clunking) and is profound there.
This of course is like so many other replacements; do them BOTH regardless how the other one is...like headlights; spark plugs etc... SOUND advice
Not quite weakest link syndrome but sound mechanical replacement; one is worn the other *is* going sooner or later and at 1xx,xxx miles !!!

kctobyjoe
If we are talking clunking. That a hourse of a different color. A rhythmical clunking while wheels are turned and rolling sounds like cv axle joint.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2014, 03:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Rhythmic and clunking NO; I know what a CV joint on the outs sounds like
If I make a turn there is a noise under the left driver side and then it goes away; as if a metal against metal joint was moved due to the change in direction and then it STOPS

NOT FAMILIAR but does the PT have ball joints like any other car...a possibility awaiting inspection in April...
Old 13 Mar 2014, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Rhythmic and clunking NO; I know what a CV joint on the outs sounds like
If I make a turn there is a noise under the left driver side and then it goes away; as if a metal against metal joint was moved due to the change in direction and then it STOPS

NOT FAMILIAR but does the PT have ball joints like any other car...a possibility awaiting inspection in April...
Yes on the ball joints and tie rods. Is the noise a rubbing sound or a popping type noise?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2014, 04:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

more of a pop