Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
springs struts and shocks question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2014, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default springs struts and shocks question

i am probably going to order springs soon for my pt, most likely road magnets as they are the biggest drop offered now. do i just need to replace my struts or do i need shocks too? the car only has 42k on it and rides perfectly smooth. also, i know i'm going to get comments saying no its a horrible idea don't do it you'll ruin your ride quality, but how much should i cut off the rear springs to get around 3/4 of an inch lower on the road magnets? i want it to be a lot more low than what they offer and i cant find super slammers so that is out of the question. thanks for any input and anyone who has cut springs let me know how they ride. thanks!
Old 17 Mar 2014, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: springs struts and shocks question

All I know is that's it probably the worst idea to cut springs according to everything I've read. You want to go really low, lower than the available stuff that's out there, go for bags. Then you can lay it on the ground if you want to and raise them up for street use. You can keep your struts and shocks too.

Yes, everything your thinking of will hurt your ride. Don't expect it to ride perfectly smooth as you have it now although I haven't heard from the guys with bags to see how the ride is with them. Only the people, like myself, that have used the lowering spring kits plus the struts and shocks made for lowered cars.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was going through old threads on here and ran across one where candyman and another member on here (blackjersey I think?) were having a discussion about drop springs while having 20 inch rims all around. There were a couple of sites posted and blackjersey said he ordered springs from one of the sites and got them exactly to the specs of the gold lines and even had them installed and they were good quality. I"ll post the links below. I was thinking about emailing them to see if they would replicate candyman's famous "candy drop" springs. It's big money though, I think they were like 640 including shipping, but to have that look that not many other pt owners have out there to me justifies the cost a little. It's so rare to find those springs nowadays that I would probably pay that much for a set.

Links:
https://www.springworks.com/index.html
Coil Spring Specialties

Hope this helps and good luck with your pt!
-Dc audio 3.5k
-Hifonics 600.4
-8 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hertz
-re audio mids and highs
-100's of feet of 0 gauge
-Ledglow underbody and interior lights
-Blue led grille lights
-55 watt "blue" VVME HID lows and fogs
-2 huge group 31 AGM batts
-1 C&D 55ah batt
-Mechan 240 amp HO alternator
Old 18 Mar 2014, 01:46 am
Banned

If you ever see lowered cars wether it they are civics, neons, integras that have a front and rear "bounce" going down the road, they have cut their springs.

Springs, coil overs or air suspension should be your only choices