Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noisey Rear Drum brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2014, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noisey Rear Drum brakes

I'm a newbie PT cruiser owner and need a little help. I just bought a very clean 2001 Pt Cruiser limited with only 78000 miles. The only thing that seems to not be right is the rear brakes. When I first start driving they make a metal on metal sound and that slowly goes away till you apply the brakes then it makes the metal on metal sound again and squeaks very loudly. I removed the wheels and the brake drums and everything looks fine, the drums are smooth, the brakes have about 3/4 of there life left. I didn't see a lot of brake dust, the brakes don't look glazed. Could they just be cheap brakes? Is there a brand that works best?
Thank you my new PT Cruiser friends.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 06:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Noisey Rear Drum brakes

I could just be the parking brake portion or the rear brake set-up needs adjusting(maybe too tight?)........They are supposed to be self-adjusting;To execute a self-adjust,you need to drive in reverse,and then pull up sharply on the parking brake lever to stop the vehicle....This may need to be repeated 2-3 times.
Try that and then see if the issue disappears.
Old 02 Apr 2014, 03:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Noisey Rear Drum brakes

I think I'm going to try to replace the brakes, is there a brand of drum brakes I should use?
Old 02 Apr 2014, 04:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by win717 View Post
I think I'm going to try to replace the brakes, is there a brand of drum brakes I should use?
My '06 Touring Edition was plagued with noisy rear brakes! They had been cleaned and adjusted several times. Had a brake job done at the dealership with their OEM shoes, no help, still squeaked after a while. There are no "upgrade" shoes available, just semi-metallic. I finally paid to have another brake job done and this time I had everything replaced: Napa Ultra-Premium shoes, Napa drums, Napa hardware kit. No squeaks so far, nice and quiet!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I know exactly what your going through! I purchased my 01 Limited w/only 24k about 12 years ago and the rear brake noise drove my wife and I nuts ever since! Like you said an inspection shows nothing but a good cleaning w/brakeclean keeps them quiet for a couple of weeks depending on how many miles you drive. I noticed rain makes it even worse even if it is not driven in the rain!

I finally couldn't take it anymore so I did a complete brake job replacing everything but the drums. My wheel cylinders were starting to seep at 70k so they went along with all of the hardware, don't skimp on the hardware or it will come back to bite you! Get good quality shoes, NOT OEM or the cheap junk Autozone or Advance sells but NEW RIVETED shoes from a reputable parts store! My drums were still perfect so I reused them and after cleaning the backing plates and after lubing the contact points w/the proper grease, a good bleeding and adjustment and my rears haven't made a sound since! My only regret was not doing this sooner!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 05:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Since its a few years old the metal part of the shoes may be rubbing on the deepest part of the drum. Don't know about PT Cruisers but i've seen several Neons that the shoe falls off and locks up the rear wheel. If you don't replace the brakes inspect them to see if the glue is still holding lining to the metal frames.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh