PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
going from 18's to 15?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2014, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default going from 18's to 15?

Ok so im here asking since im clueless. My husband owns a 2001 Pt limited. When we purchased it, it came with 18s. We recently had a pothole incident with the 2 passenger side rims bending them pretty bad causing them to constantly leak with new tires. He has wanted to downsize the rims anyway so this seems like the perfect chance. We have a friend who has a set of 15's from a neon (hes a mechanic) and says they should fit with no problem. My question is, because im totally clueless, with the 18s we had bigger tires in the back and smaller in the front. with 15s do we have to have different sizes or is it standard 195/65 for all? Also will 15s fit properly? Ive been on tirerack and it seems they do but i wanted personal opinions.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: going from 18's to 15?

a lot of the PT's came with steel wheels and 15 inch tired mine did I went to 16's with no prob and you can go to 15's with no problems as well
you have to make sure they are the exact same bolt pattern and I think that the neon is
you dont ahve a turbo so the breaks should be good to go as well
good luck it should give you a way better ride as you will have a lot more rubber between the road and the wheel
Old 25 Apr 2014, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Cruiserdad.
They ought to fit (I know many use SRT-4 rims).
15" tires are cheaper, last longer (usually), give better mileage, give a softer ride, are better in snow, just don't take turns as well.
mityqwik and Chase84 like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your feedback...looks like this is going to be our best option. We live in Maryland so we do get a bit of snow, so that will be a plus for us.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree w/Cruiserdad.
They ought to fit (I know many use SRT-4 rims).
15" tires are cheaper, last longer (usually), give better mileage, give a softer ride, are better in snow, just don't take turns as well.
We have 2 PTs and one has the stock 205/55x16 and the other 195/65x15. They both seem to use to handle just the same and have the same ride. You wouldn't think so but 3 of us in the two cars can't tell a difference. Only difference I DID see was the replacement cost of the tires! The 195s were definately cheaper for the same mileage rating. Actually, my 195s are rated higher in mileage (of course depends on the brand and quality tire chosen). I wish both had the 195s.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
We have 2 PTs and one has the stock 205/55x16 and the other 195/65x15. They both seem to use to handle just the same and have the same ride. You wouldn't think so but 3 of us in the two cars can't tell a difference. Only difference I DID see was the replacement cost of the tires! The 195s were definately cheaper for the same mileage rating. Actually, my 195s are rated higher in mileage (of course depends on the brand and quality tire chosen). I wish both had the 195s.
They'll be going from 18 to 15 - I suspect they'll notice...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can run the 15" steels on a gt as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2014, 10:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you can but you have to make sure the calipers clear on the GT
Old 26 Apr 2014, 05:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
you can but you have to make sure the calipers clear on the GT
1) The stock "steelies" fit on GTs
2) They have a 2001 - no GT until 2003...

Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I have 15s on my '05 Touring. they work.

BTW, welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around after you get this wheel situation resolved. There is lots of good information to be found here.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.