PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Progress Springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2004, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Progress Springs

Hello,
I was wondering how good the progress lowering springs were. I see that a number of people have them but i dont see as much talk about them as the eibach springs. How is the ride after installing them? I know that they are supposed to lower 2" in the front and 2.3" in the back, the 2.3" seems a bit much to me. Was it necessary to change the shocks,struts? I was able to get a real good deal on the progress springs and sway bars and just want to make sure the springs will still give me a decent ride while lowering the stance. If not I will sell the springs and get eibachs. Thanks
Kevin
Old 15 Apr 2004, 01:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

cruisrman, welcome to the forum. Regardless of the springs you use, if you lower your PT the ride is going to change, it's going to be a little rougher. The lower you go the rougher it will be. I have Progress springs which lowered my PT 2" all the way around (not sure where you got the 2.3" in the rear). I also have the Progress sway bars, front and rear. My PT rides rougher than it did when stock but handling has improved greatly. I don't feel that the ride is too harsh.

As far as replacing the struts/shocks, I would recommend replacing them. I replaced mine when I installed my springs.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have them and IMO they suck. I bottom out on every little bump it seems. I have Koni adjustable shocks on the front and have tried a few dif settings with no luck. But don't take my word for it, 'cause I have bad luck with this car[:0] But I still love it[B)]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 16 Apr 2004, 12:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I have KYB struts and shocks on mine with the Progress springs and have never bottomed out.

Mercedes Wiki
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

I have KYB struts and shocks on mine with the Progress springs and have never bottomed out.
I know, that's what EVERYONE has told me. I guess I got the bum set of springs...
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to R3dWhitNCrz

I have a set for sale ($70+shipping). The springs give you a real aggressive ride-performance all the way. So you give up a bit of the comfort. I loved them ...my wife did not! So I have eibach now too. If you want that aggressive look and feel then they are right up your alley. Contact me.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.
I don't have progress, but want to comment on your comment on 2.3" in back sounds like a bit much - I feel you should be more concerned with the front! I dropped mine rear only, and felt no loss of ride quality, but I scrape already in the front and couldn't conceive of going lower.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Apr 2004, 05:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:OurPTGT Posted - 04/15/2004 : 9:06:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have them and IMO they suck. I bottom out on every little bump it seems. I have Koni adjustable shocks on the front and have tried a few dif settings with no luck. But don't take my word for it, 'cause I have bad luck with this car But I still love it
Quote:
quote:OurPTGT Posted - 04/16/2004 : 8:47:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, that's what EVERYONE has told me. I guess I got the bum set of springs...
You mention having Koni adjustables on the front, but how about on the rear? If you haven't done so you really should. A PT will bounce around a fair amount with lowering springs and factory shocks in the rear. I loved the look and handling of mine with GoldLines on, but adding Tokico gas shocks the other day made a HUGE difference. I can't recommend highly enough that you should change shocks/struts when you add lowering springs. Yeah, I might sound like a broken record now, but the factory shocks/struts are simply not up to the task of lowering springs.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 10:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

yep, i understand that the stock shocks should be changed in the rear. Yes it bounces to much. BUT, it's the front that bottoms out. I'm talking about going over cement creases in the road that stick up maybe 1" and BAM. I love the look and get many postive comments on it. But I don't think this ride is normal. My kinda luck though...[xx(]
BTW, do the fronts have bump stops or something similar?
Old 21 Apr 2004, 10:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

OurPTGT, if you did not trim the front bump stops that could be what's bottoming out. The front stops are on the strut shaft under the rubber boot.

I trimed at least half of the stop off of mine, close to 2".

Mercedes Wiki