Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Retro style wheel rims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2014, 03:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Retro style wheel rims

Ok, so how does this work exactly. I see the retro style wheel rims, to give that classic look, however, I was also looking at those wheel plate things for the standard wheel rims where you insert them into the wheel rim and it protects the car from brake dust etc. However, people slated those stating they didn't allow enough air to the brake pads causing them to overheat and causing all sorts of damage to the wheel areas.

Those were called kleen wheels with a k

https://www.kleenwheels.com

So wouldn't you get the same issue with those retro look wheel rims?

Old 17 May 2014, 06:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Retro style wheel rims

Probably doesn't help air flow...
My cure for brake dust was to replace the stock pads with ceramic pads.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2014, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

QSD is right but doesn't answer your question. I have someone in my old PT club that had the Kleen Wheels and never had a problem with overheating of the brake parts and as you've said, the retro wheels don't allow air to the brakes from the outside of the wheel and loads of people have gone with the retro style without a problem. I would think for "normal" driving, there's enough air from under the car to keep everything working just fine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2014, 11:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I have had chrome wheels on my 05 for several years with no problem of overheating. I never considered that they would restrict airflow.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 17 May 2014, 02:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

I never considered about there not being enough air flow either. I was oroginally looking for a good way to keep these bad boys clean. Apparently they have been know to put a form of the kleen wheels on Ferraris so didn't understand this airflow and cooling issue

Old 17 May 2014, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
I never considered about there not being enough air flow either. I was originally looking for a good way to keep these bad boys clean. Apparently they have been know to put a form of the kleen wheels on Ferraris so didn't understand this airflow and cooling issue
While I personally wouldn't use these on anything I own mainly because I like to show of my brake components let me "technee-a" little about the PT Cruiser front disc rotors and chillin.
Most of the air to radiate the heat of braking on the front is the fins of the rotor itself. Part of the ram air is picked up from you lower bumper openings. These 2 combinations perhaps contribute to 80% or more of the normal average daily driving disc rotor cooling.

You are not Road tracking your PT that I can see and unless you plan on doing a lot of high speed constant or continually braking in a fashion as that IMO I think you would be ok using these wheel inserts. I would really like anyone to demonstrate with some solid information even *personal use experience comments (*which we all know how I am about that) that this product would diminish overall normal usage braking capacity or cause brake component harm to a PT Cruisers front disc rotors brakes?

BTW how many have ever gotten brake dust down the side of any ride you have ever owned? Think about that for a moment!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 May 2014 at 02:58 pm.
Old 17 May 2014, 02:59 pm
Banned

It lessens but doesnt cure it

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Probably doesn't help air flow...
My cure for brake dust was to replace the stock pads with ceramic pads.
Old 17 May 2014, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Honestly the muck on the wheels all the time, i assumed was mainly brake dust. Im all for cleaning the car, but if I am being honest, I can't do it every other day.

I looked at these sprays then saw those kleen wheel inserts, then wondered why not those lovely retro wheel rims instead, until I read this air cooling issue.

Just want the damn things to stay clean for little longer than a few days.

Old 17 May 2014, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
Just want the damn things to stay clean for little longer than a few days.

Then the easiest way is to follow QSD's advise and change to ceramic or any other brand of brake pads that advertise low or no brake dust. They go for a week or more at a time before needing cleaning provided you don't get other dirt/debris on them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2014, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Retro style wheel rims

When I went to the ceramic pads on the 2006 na SoonerCruiser, frankly the brake dust was negligible, even after weeks!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!