Advertisements
Need Help with this

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2014, 11:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Need Help with this

Over the last 1 year theres been a sound getting lauder and lauder every week
as of now its so loud that the window has to be open and the radio turned up theres no way to carry a conversation in side the car , the problem is on the driver side tire area :

when driving straight or turn right it gets very loud
when turning to the LEFT it sounds NORMAL 0 sound as am going straight or turn Right the sound starts up again a ROARING sound
ITs also lost speed not sure if its from the same problem ..

I took it in to a shop they told me Well with out taking the front completely apart we won't know … 2800.00 job…..

Cant pay that . I taken the driver tire off looked around can't see anything , looks like I have to start taking things apart
if I had an idea what or were the problem might be would be easier ..

has anyone had this problem :? bearings , hub I have no clue I would hate just start talking stuff apart ..

2004 PTC just hit 90672 miles this has been my only major problem so far
Old 21 May 2014, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need Help with this

sounds like the hub bearing Hard to belive a shop could not drive it and listen to see what it is but Oh well
How many miles
what year
have you ever had the bearings done on the PT??
Old 21 May 2014, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a 95% chance or better that this is either a front wheel bearing or CV axle. If you will have someone walk beside the car while driving it slow, they can likely tell which side the noise is coming from. Also, a bad wheel bearing will often show signs of getting hot. The hub will often be much hotter than the other after driving and it's usually much more rusty looking.

At Autozone, a front wheel bearing is about $40. To install, the front hub will have to be taken apart in a hydraulic press and reassembled with the new bearing in the press with the right tooling. A mechanic can likely do this job in one to two hours. I recently did one like this in the backyard with no press in about 4 hours.

A rebuilt CV axle is about $70 at Autozone. Installing this involved removal of the front hub and a couple of special pullers that Autozone loans out for a deposit. Or a mechanic can do it with the right equipment in about one hour. I can do this in my driveway in about two hours.

At a reputable shop in my area, I could likely have both of these replaced on one side for $500 or less including parts. It should not be more than twice that anywhere in the US. A quote of $2800 means that the shop does not want your business. You need to go somewhere else.

A good plan is often to go to a busy parts store, price the parts and then ask the parts salesman to recommend a good low-cost mechanic that does work like this. You will likely get several leads on someone that can do the work without ripping your head off.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 May 2014 at 12:04 pm.
Old 21 May 2014, 12:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

No this is the first problem but i still don't know what the problem is , Crysler would not drive it all most like they didn't want me to know the problem or try to fix it my self …

witch is what i wanted just to know what the problem was so I could try to do the work my self.

2004 ptc 90K miles
Old 21 May 2014, 12:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

I might just do that buy the parts take them in I can do most of the work other then the bearings I live in san francisco thats 90-110 an hour.. 1-2 hours labor to remove and install a bearing I wish i had the tools...
Old 21 May 2014, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
I might just do that buy the parts take them in I can do most of the work other then the bearings I live in san francisco thats 90-110 an hour.. 1-2 hours labor to remove and install a bearing I wish i had the tools...
Go to YouTube and search for "Change a Wheel Bearing Without Press". It can be done. I've done it several times. But you will likely need a few tools you don't have now.

Here's a guy doing it on a Ford minivan. It's not that different on a PT:

Old 21 May 2014, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

its a good video but they guy needs to relize what a inpact is for--lol

Last edited by cruserdad1976; 21 May 2014 at 01:38 pm.
Old 21 May 2014, 02:08 pm
Banned

So Tempting, ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
Over the last 1 year theres been a sound getting lauder and lauder every week
as of now its so loud that the window has to be open and the radio turned up theres no way to carry a conversation in side the car , the problem is on the driver side tire area
Old 21 May 2014, 03:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dont hurt yourself Busa , tryin to think of something positive to say
rckstein likes this.
Old 21 May 2014, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jack up driver side front. Grab top and bottom of tire and push in on top/pull out on bottom - if there's movement, that's confirmation wheel bearing is shot.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles