PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Turning Radius

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2014, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Turning Radius

We have a 2002 PT which, except for the motor mount issue, has served us we'll over the past 12 years. I only have two major issues with the design of the PT...(I'll skip the lack of power - it wasn't meant to be run on the quarter-mile)

Although she love her Cruiser, she agrees with me on two major failings of the adored one.

Our first issue is the lack of clear vision at the 5 o'clock position which makes any change of direction to the right a life-threatening maneuver. My wife and I do the pilot-copilot trick and make sure that we have a clear path any time we change lanes or make a right turn.

The second issue is the monstrous turning radius...akin to a super carrier.

There is obviously nothing to be done about the obstructed vision unless I get out my oxy-acetylene torch and convert our little four-door to a convertible. But I was wondering if any of you old PT buffs have ever tried modifying the front undercarriage and steering mechanism to reduce the turning radius. I'm pretty adept at doing structural work on a motor vehicle and have installed esoteric stuff like ladder bars and four-links on my older Plymouth race cars.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll trade photos of my racing beauties for any help given.
Old 23 May 2014, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Turning Radius

Learn to adjust the side mirrors properly. See how track driver adjust them. My wife is 5 foot tall and she has no blind spots or issues turning or lane merging when the mirrors are adjusted correctly. You may need to forget everything you think you know about how to adjust them to learn a new way?

The turning radius is simply getting to know the vehicle. I get to fly a DC-3 once a year and it turns on the tarmac about the same as PT Cruiser but I still manage to maneuver it in and out of the hanger and around the tarmac. It is simply learning the easiest way to do things with the least amount of effort. You will find many complain about the PT Cruiser turning radius yet a PT can still perform a 3 point in most any situation the average car or truck can.
I would still enjoy seeing your racing beauties. I have many of mine posted in different area's of this forum.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 May 2014, 02:10 am
Banned

Automotive engineers consider the turning radius situation on any car a "Packaging" circumstance. In other words there was no room to make the radius any smaller or they would have done it that way from the start. If you pull the two inner fender liners on the front of your PT and then turn the wheels "full-lock" from side to side you'll see what I'm talking about. Just learn to plan ahead when you're anticipating a full-lock turn. It's already as-good-as-it-gets. Rest assured, the PT isn't the only car on the road with this turn radius or even bigger.

Jerry
Old 24 May 2014, 05:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWalker View Post
We have a 2002 PT which, except for the motor mount issue, has served us we'll over the past 12 years. I only have two major issues with the design of the PT...(I'll skip the lack of power - it wasn't meant to be run on the quarter-mile)

Although she love her Cruiser, she agrees with me on two major failings of the adored one.

Our first issue is the lack of clear vision at the 5 o'clock position which makes any change of direction to the right a life-threatening maneuver. My wife and I do the pilot-copilot trick and make sure that we have a clear path any time we change lanes or make a right turn.

The second issue is the monstrous turning radius...akin to a super carrier.

There is obviously nothing to be done about the obstructed vision unless I get out my oxy-acetylene torch and convert our little four-door to a convertible. But I was wondering if any of you old PT buffs have ever tried modifying the front undercarriage and steering mechanism to reduce the turning radius. I'm pretty adept at doing structural work on a motor vehicle and have installed esoteric stuff like ladder bars and four-links on my older Plymouth race cars.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll trade photos of my racing beauties for any help given.
as far as the "blind spot" why not buy yourself one of those "Spot mirrors" and stick it in the corner of your outside mirror? We did that and never have an issue with blind spots
rckstein likes this.
Old 24 May 2014, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with the others. The turning radius has to be lived with, but the passenger mirror can be adjusted so there's no blind spot.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 May 2014, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I place my mirrors to where I can't see the pt at all at a glance. Giving me a good look at the lane beside me. But if I lean a little towards that mirror, I then can see the side of my car if I need to maneuver in tight places. Learned this trick from driving a lot of 4 lane roads as a copier tech.
2step likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2014, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I place my mirrors to where I can't see the pt at all at a glance. Giving me a good look at the lane beside me. But if I lean a little towards that mirror, I then can see the side of my car if I need to maneuver in tight places. Learned this trick from driving a lot of 4 lane roads as a copier tech.
They teach that in driving schools both the AARP and the Sheriff's Department to eliminate the blind spots. With the AARP school (you don't have to be over 50) there's a 10% discount on auto insurance. With the Sheriff's Driving school, it just helps you keep your skills up and keeps you from changing lanes into the path of others.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2014, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
They teach that in driving schools both the AARP and the Sheriff's Department to eliminate the blind spots. With the AARP school (you don't have to be over 50) there's a 10% discount on auto insurance. With the Sheriff's Driving school, it just helps you keep your skills up and keeps you from changing lanes into the path of others.
I don't know if they have any of those here. But I think it's a good idea for many. A fresh idea is always good to have and try. Most think you need to see your car all the time. But that really limits what you can see around you. How would one find out about those type classes in their area CREWZIN?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2014, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The AARP classes are given pretty frequently and are listed in my daily paper. I would suppose if you Google "AARP Driving Classes in your area" that it might bring up the information. I just Googled them for Dallas Texas and there's plenty of information so it doesn't just have to be for the states or areas with the more knowledgeable members of the population, after all the younger generation that's in the highest group for crashes so they could use all the help they can get, especially with 10% off on insurance that some companies give.

P.S. That's just the facts Busa, not just making fun of the young people as you did for older drivers.
boonie2 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 May 2014 at 11:09 am.
Old 24 May 2014, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The AARP classes are given pretty frequently and are listed in my daily paper. I would suppose if you Google "AARP Driving Classes in your area" that it might bring up the information. I just Googled them for Dallas Texas and there's plenty of information so it doesn't just have to be for the states or areas with the more knowledgeable members of the population, after all the younger generation that's in the highest group for crashes so they could use all the help they can get, especially with 10% off on insurance that some companies give.

P.S. That's just the facts Busa, not just making fun of the young people as you did for older drivers.
Guess those Q-tips have a few pointers to pass to those young timers.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 May 2014 at 11:09 am.

Tags
pt turning radius