Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Axle Bumpers...FOAM? really?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2014, 11:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Rear Axle Bumpers...FOAM? really?

Crawled under the 03 Dreamer to put the spare back in the rack after cleaning it up and noticed the axle bumpers looked like rotten wood. Reached up there to check it out and they just crumbled apart. Seemed to be made of some funky yellow foam stuff.
Are real axle bumpers, rubber, EPDM, etc. available or must I adapt some early 42-48 Ford V8 axle bumpers to the PT cups?
Thanks for the help.
Old 26 May 2014, 02:25 am
Banned

Default Re: Rear Axle Bumpers...FOAM? really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Crawled under the 03 Dreamer to put the spare back in the rack after cleaning it up and noticed the axle bumpers looked like rotten wood. Reached up there to check it out and they just crumbled apart. Seemed to be made of some funky yellow foam stuff.
Are real axle bumpers, rubber, EPDM, etc. available or must I adapt some early 42-48 Ford V8 axle bumpers to the PT cups?
Thanks for the help.
My PT is an 04 and I'm under the car three or four times a year to give it it's periodical inspection. The stops are one of the things that I always check. Ten years after purchase mine are still like new.

I don't recall anyone else mentioning them deteriorating either. Don't know what to tell you unless the previous owner(s) drove the car in some really harsh environments.

I would simply check out your local salvage yards and get a pair that are still sound shape like mine (shouldn't be hard to find).

If your main objective here on this thread is to create an avenue that gives a reason for your putting up a mod thread, then have at it.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 26 May 2014 at 02:29 am.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Last edited by rob342; 26 May 2014 at 07:21 am.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Rob, I think he's talking about Axle Bumpers not rear bumpers. ( I think) the ones we cut when we lower the car. Mine are still in good shape the last time I looked also.

rob342 and boonie2 like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The bump stops have been known to do this for some. Not the first time I have read this. Have five pt's in my possession and not one has this issue. One has over 200k showing. So I'm thinking like Jerry said you could find a good used pair. You also can get these in urethane from several sources including ebay.

4 1301 Prothane Polyurethane Rear Bump Stop Kit PT Cruiser 01 10 | eBay

Prothane Rear Bump Stops Chrysler PT Cruiser 2001 2006 41301BL 4 1301 BL 4 1301 | eBay

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 May 2014, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Rob, I think he's talking about Axle Bumpers not rear bumpers. ( I think) the ones we cut when we lower the car. Mine are still in good shape the last time I looked also.

not awake yet i guess. LOL.
Old 26 May 2014, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Way back in the day, I worked at a parts store off and on while going to college. There was a time when we got in a whole new line of motor mounts. When I pulled one out of the box to show a customer, I noticed that the rubber was like foam and was so soft I could put it apart with my hand. I went through the others and found that about three quarters of them were like this. It took some doing, but I finally convinced the store manager to send them all back as defective. Out of about ten employees, I was the only one with enough experience to know that these mounts weren't made correctly. The replacement batch was better but there were still a few of the ones with soft foam-like rubber mixed in.

The OP's description of his axle bumpers sounds a lot like this. It's very possible that sometimes, the rubber doesn't get cured correctly even though it looks okay visually. It's also possible that something has chemically broken down the rubber over time. I've also seen strange things happen to cars that are used near a chemical factory.
Old 26 May 2014, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

I thought bumpers, too, not bump stops....
The bumpers are filled with foam - I think way back Volvo or Saab was the first to do that.
My bump stops (stock) look like new (except dirty) at nearly 120,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 May 2014, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Guess we'll have to wait till the first poster asking the question gets back to the forum. For all we know he could be talking about something completely different than what we thought and just calling it something we never heard before.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2014, 06:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks, gents. It never occurred to me that these would be some manufacturing hiccup but there it is.
I'll hit the pickapart yard this week and see about getting a pair or two.
Axle bumpers is what those are called in Fordpspeak from 32-48 where I came from but I have heard the bump stop term before as well.
Again, thanks, it's been an experience with the Dreamer but I hope it will last a long long time.

Tags
bump stops