Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2014, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front brakes pulsing(pumping)

Hello
2001 pt cruiser (no ABS)
Have a problem with my PT Cruiser
Braking at moderate to high speed the front brakes start pulsing.
I checked the pads (ok)and rotors (clean and shiny,no groves)
I read the forum and are still confused.(vacuum system leak, rotors warped
and so on)Then the issue with diogenal break system.
Anybody an idea where to start looking. I'm not an experienced mechanic.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Bugworks; 09 Jun 2014 at 10:53 am. Reason: tipo
Old 09 Jun 2014, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front brakes pulsing(pumping)

id change the rotors they are pretty cheap and that will eliminate a bigger right at the start--you didnt say how many miles on car or how many miles on breaks but still id do a break job and see what happens
Old 09 Jun 2014, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree.
Get new rotors and don't buy cheap ones.
Pulsing pedal is nearly always warped disks, and you will not be able to see the warpage.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jun 2014, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

one more thing changing them on the pt is pretty easy as long as you have a few tools and the want to id say for 2 rotors and a set of good pads is still under $100 or really close to it
Old 09 Jun 2014, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
one more thing changing them on the pt is pretty easy as long as you have a few tools and the want to id say for 2 rotors and a set of good pads is still under $100 or really close to it
One thing - the calipers require an 18mm wrench - most sets have 17mm & 19mm, so be sure you have an 18mm socket or box wrench before you start.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 09 Jun 2014, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you both.
What is the story about not pushing the caliper pistons back (to get the old rotor out and the new in) without opening the bleeder valve on the caliper. I read it will cause damage ?????
Thank you again !!
Old 09 Jun 2014, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

when i do my breaks ,i dont mess with opening anything i use a C clamp and the old break pad to compress the piston ,have for years on all the diffrent cars we do breaks on never had a problem that i am aware of--on the ones with the double pistons it is a little harder but it all works the same for me
On my cars once they get to the 100,000 mark i usally change the caliper, rotors ,break lines, and pads, but that gettes expensive ,and it most likely not really necessary, i just do it beacuse im that way.
Old 09 Jun 2014, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
when i do my breaks ,i dont mess with opening anything i use a C clamp and the old break pad to compress the piston ,have for years on all the diffrent cars we do breaks on never had a problem that i am aware of--on the ones with the double pistons it is a little harder but it all works the same for me
On my cars once they get to the 100,000 mark i usally change the caliper, rotors ,break lines, and pads, but that gettes expensive ,and it most likely not really necessary, i just do it beacuse im that way.
Yep, leave the bleeder alone. You will only get air in the line. Do as Big daddy says above. Check the rear brakes and be sure that they are adjusted up properly if drum. Or you can warp a new set of rotors in a short while.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 09 Jun 2014 at 06:18 pm.
Old 09 Jun 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugworks View Post
Thank you both.
What is the story about not pushing the caliper pistons back (to get the old rotor out and the new in) without opening the bleeder valve on the caliper. I read it will cause damage ?????
Thank you again !!
I regard that as a myth - when I heard you can't push the pistons "backwards" - well, what happens when you take your foot off the brake? The piston retracts - "backwards".

I am like Cruiserdad - I've done probably 50 disk brake jobs on mine, wife's, kid's friend's cars - with and without ABS, and push in piston with a C-clamp, open no bleeder screws (and thereby let no air in) and never had a problem.

Check brake fluid level in master cylinder, because it will go up when you push pistons in, and if the fluid overflows, it can remove paint/make a mess.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Old 09 Jun 2014, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all !!!
Sounds much better and takes some worries off.
Are the rear drumbrake adjusters accessable from the back of the drum and what tool do I need. ? (screwdriver or similar) Which way do I turn the adjusters?
Thanks for your help.