Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Brake Booster Trouble?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2014, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Brake Booster Trouble?

My wife's 2001 PT Limited has just under 80k and we've owned it since it had a mere 24k on the clock 11 years ago. The front had new rotors, calipers & pads last year and last month it got new rear brake shoes, hardware & wheel cylinders and it stops faster than it goes!

Recently when it is first driven each day it takes several light stops before it gets any boost! Once it does it is fine for the rest of the day, even if parked for a long period.

Is there a check valve on our PT's? or is this a sign of a failing brake booster? Also this is probably a coincidence but I just recently found that the PCV hose was collapsing so I replaced it with a standard PVC hose until the correct formed hose arrives as it was not available locally!

Her PT has been a great car and never even seen snow until last winter but it seems like once it hit 70k it's gone into crash & burn mode!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Brake Booster Trouble?

Had to replace the booster on mine. Went fast and had a rock hard pedal and hardly brought the car to a stop. Another time before replacing the booster, the idle would go up and down time after time and the pedal again was rock hard. that time I traced all the vacuum lines coming from he booster and found one had split. See if yo can check all those vacuum lines especially when they reach a "T" junction. Check for good connections and no splits in the wires. Not easy to trace the lines but it can be done.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.