Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alignment question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2014, 06:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Alignment question

Yesterday was the day my 2010 PT got it's annual state inspection. All it needed were some bushings up front. My mechanic also altered me that I'd need rear breaks in three or four months.. He also pointed out that my tires were beginning to cup. Said that it needed an alignment. The tires are only a year old with a little less than 20,000 on them. I was told that there was nothing to be done about the cupping. The advice was simply to put up with the noise, run the tires until they were shot and then when thy were replaced get the alignment done. My question is - would there be any advantage to getting an alignment done now? Would I get more out of the tires to offset the expense of the alignment? Any insight would be appreciated
Old 22 Jul 2014, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Alignment question

This condition is usually caused by shocks or suspension part warn. Fix that before you spend the money.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2014, 06:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Does the bushing replacement count as a suspension part?
Old 23 Jul 2014, 06:51 am
Banned

Let's hope the repair doesn't break the bank
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
Does the bushing replacement count as a suspension part?
Yes , but if the alignment hasn't been changed it should be ok if thats all that is done. You still need to replace whatever is causing the scalping, tie rod shock etc. You don't want to do one and then start replace parts. Get it after the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Let's hope the repair doesn't break the bank
That's always something to keep in mind for sure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On almost ever high-mileage car I've ever owned, I usually replace the inner and outer tie rod ends before I pay for the first alignment. The exception is my PT which already appears to have had new tie rod ends installed before I bought it. If your tie rod ends have over 100K miles on them, they are due a change.

On the bushings and struts, I usually take the car to the alignment guy and ask him to give the suspension a good once-over before doing the alignment. Out of fairness and honesty, I always tell the guy that if he finds stuff that needs to be replaced, I will be placing it myself before he does the alignment. Some alignment guys will want to charge your extra for the inspection since they don't get the extra work. But the regulars I deal with usually don't because doing an alignment with new parts is often easier on them. And of course, I always come back to the same guy for the alignment work.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 07:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the input. It sounds like for now I'll just ride out the tires (turning the radio volume up as they get louder), and then when they are shot (probably several months down the line) check suspension, get new tires, and then an alignment.