PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front brake issue

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2014, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front brake issue

Ok, so I got my 2002 PT as a "mechanics special" from a dealer last year and got it all back up and running. When I first purchased it, I put on all new front and rear brake pads & rotors.

A week later I started getting a noise that sounded like the warning bars when you get low on your pads. I took them apart again to see what the deal was (I have had people that had their brand new pads rip apart within a few weeks). When I took it apart, it all looked good EXCEPT for the metal shims, the little clip that holds them in was ground off by the rotor while I was driving (my noise). I immediately replaced these shims with new ones, seeing as I didn't replace them the first time around (not like they really wear out). Now it has been around a year and a half and now the same thing on BOTH sides now. The brakes are like brand new still because I don't put much mileage on it.

Has anyone else encountered this? It just seems like the clearance from the top of the rotor to the brake mount barely big enough for them to fit when they are cold. I get that this is only an $8 part but I don't want to keep replacing them every year.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated
Old 30 Jul 2014, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front brake issue

Are you talking shims or anti-rattle clips?

JoeX likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

when you installed your new pads , did you fit them or just jam them in the holder with the anti rattle.
When I do brakes, (since 1967) I grind the steel fit to make sure it glides easily on the anti rattle. Maybe yours are to tight. I also use brake grease to lube all moving parts.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 30 Jul 2014, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess it would be the anti-rattle clips. Somewhere else I was checking called them shims.

When I put them in the last time, I made sure that they were all greased and had proper clearance of the rotor, the previous one were on it when I got it. Even when I bought the new ones, they seemed to touch a little bit too if I recall. I had to move the area that goes inside the left and right side of the mounting bracket a bit to clear the rotor and fit with the pads.

I wasn't sure when I did it if there was a "correct" or an "incorrect" way to put them in but all the pieces were the same and were identical to the ones I took off.

The issue I keep having is that the small clip that goes in the bracket is being ground off by the rotor and then they are touching the rotors because there is nothing to hold them from moving side to side.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The part on the clip that I mean is not shown in the picture, it is still in the mounting bracket on it.

It almost seems to me that either the rotors are slightly too large in diameter. I mean, yeah I can sand off the normal rust on the outer edge of the rotor but I will still get the problem in a little while again.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 12:00 am
Senior Cruiser

I thought the anti rattle shims had little metal fingers that kept them from moving side to side. The brake pad should not be even a little bit snug and be almost free to slide back and forth sliding on the anti rattle guides.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip

Old 03 Aug 2014, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The brake pads are moving back and forth fine. The problem is that the little fingers that don't allow the anti-rattle clips to move are being ground down by the rotors. This is now my second set.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 02:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

When installed correctly the little fingers should be between the rotor and the caliper slide groove. If there is no room, I'v never seen on that close. Do you get heavy rust build up on the out edge of the rotors that wears down the finger? Or the pads contact edges with the guides are not as loose as they should be, Seems like I have to grind each pad to fit properly, did you?
and smooth the contact point that rides on the ss anti rattle guide along with deburing (no sharp edges) I also grease mine.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip

Old 04 Aug 2014, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, they are installed correctly and the pads move back and forth fine. I don't have any abnormal amount of rust on the outside edge of the rotor, at least compared to all others I have dealt with in my years. I was just curious if someone else had/has this issue and what could be done to fix it. I have never had this happen in all the years I have done repairs so I'm at a loss to the cause.
Old 07 Sep 2014, 10:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Luk Schaffer makes a nice slotted cross drilled rotor (this may help keep them cool and prohibit warping) for not a ton of money. I think they're called Black XD Series. Tell him to make sure that his calipers aren't frozen when installing new pads or rotors, better yet replace them or rebuild them if in doubt. This will help to insure longer life and no rotor warping. I've had mine on a Chrysler Voyager for a year and been happy with them.

I had drilled Luk Schaffer rotors and the Carbon Metallic pads on my previous car Chrysler Voyager and loved the combo, so when my new car needed new front pads I went with what I knew best. I totally agree at first they seem almost ""soft"", but when you get on them they grab just as hard as the stock pads. So for me that was a benefit because I always felt the car kind of shake slightly when first applying the brakes with the stock pads, but with it's a much more gradual grab so it's smoother braking.