Advertisements
Aftermarket wheels rubbing cable?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2014, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Aftermarket wheels rubbing cable?

This morning I took a 2005 convertible (Touring + turbo) for a test drive. At low speeds (<40 MPH), there was a click coming from the rear passenger wheel. The salesman walked along the side of the car while I drove at a crawl along and it was clicking once every time the wheel rotated.

We took the car back to the dealership and the mechanics said they were already aware of the problem. They said it was because the wheels were too small and were rubbing on the emergency brake cable.

The wheels were not original, they were Konig. I do not know what size the wheels were but the tires were 205/55R16

The dealership will not replace the wheels on the car, but they will lower the price to cover new wheels.

Does this sound like a plausible answer for the noise? I am willing to replace the wheels if the price is right, but I don't want to find out this was a symptom of something worse down the line, and I worry the rubbing may have caused other damage.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket wheels rubbing cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAWilly View Post
This morning I took a 2005 convertible (Touring + turbo) for a test drive. At low speeds (<40 MPH), there was a click coming from the rear passenger wheel. The salesman walked along the side of the car while I drove at a crawl along and it was clicking once every time the wheel rotated.

We took the car back to the dealership and the mechanics said they were already aware of the problem. They said it was because the wheels were too small and were rubbing on the emergency brake cable.

The wheels were not original, they were Konig. I do not know what size the wheels were but the tires were 205/55R16

The dealership will not replace the wheels on the car, but they will lower the price to cover new wheels.

Does this sound like a plausible answer for the noise? I am willing to replace the wheels if the price is right, but I don't want to find out this was a symptom of something worse down the line, and I worry the rubbing may have caused other damage.
If its rubbing you can take the wheel off and you will see where on the cable it is rubbing , it will be a clean rub mark and maybe like wise on the inside of the wheel, maybe its rubbing on a balance weight.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 28 Aug 2014 at 08:06 pm.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I always assume a dealer is lying unless proven otherwise.
It would seem to me if cable were rubbing, would be easy enough to clamp the cable out of the way - replacing the wheels is an expensive cure.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Aug 2014, 02:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

The tire size is correct and is the factory 16" size. But if the offset is wrong on the wheel they could be sitting too far in and rubbing on the cable. But wouldn't it rub all the time and not just once every rotation?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

are there any balance weights on the inside of the rim?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh