PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Flutter

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake Flutter

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that was getting a flutter from the front brakes while I was applying them. I replaced the brake pads and new rotors on both sides. Braking was excellent for about a 100 miles. Noticed when now when driving 60 mph and applying the brakes, I feel a front end flutter. Very strong and loud until I get to almost stopping speed.

Only occurs when brakes are applied. Other than that, vehicle rides very smoothly and doesn't pull down the road not matter how fast.

Anyone have this problem?
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Flutter

Check you suspension.

Check tire pressure.

Look carefully to what and how the tire wear pattern is.

You may try to rotate the rear to the front as an experiment.

Look at the rotor and see if the surface is smooth and the same around the circumference on both side.

Yes you will have to raise the front off the ground to examine the rotors properly.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

while its up in the air, you might also check the tie-rods. i had a rhythmic wobble/knocking in the steering wheel while braking, and it was a bad outer tie rod end. when i'd yank up and down on the tie rod, it would move about 1/8".
Old 23 Oct 2014, 07:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Finally got around to checking out my brake flutter. I replaced the rotors and brakes at around 1,000 miles ago. Tie rod ends were worn out so I replaced them. Less than $30. Not too expensive.

Did not help. Suspension looks good. No drastically worn out parts.

I'm starting to direct my problem that the brake rotor(s) are warped. It has the same pulsation in the brake pedal as I have experienced in the past from any of my vehicles. Bought the rotors and brake pads at Advance Auto. Has anyone had experience with their rotors? Could they be junk?

Is there a way to measure warpage?

Thanks for the replies,

Mark
Old 23 Oct 2014, 07:31 am
Senior Cruiser

nada nada
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 24 Oct 2014 at 03:34 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 08:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you buy the cheapest rotors? I have found with rotors that you largely "get what you pay for" More $ gets you better steel, in my experience.

Once I got brembo disks from Tire Rack sent to my house - they were fine, and now I use the hot-dipped in zinc rotors from ThatRotorShop.com

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Are your LCA rear bushings torn?
The bushings on both sides are torn and look bad. Car has 296,000 miles on it. I'd expect they have never been replace. Driving home from work, I turned the radio off to listen to the front end. It sounds awful. Hate driving it.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkie74 View Post
The bushings on both sides are torn and look bad. Car has 296,000 miles on it. I'd expect they have never been replace. Driving home from work, I turned the radio off to listen to the front end. It sounds awful. Hate driving it.
Re: Brake Flutter!!??

Any vehicle once you reach 100,000 miles needs more attention to mechanical condition from this point on. And preventative maintenance is very important. When you reach 200,000 you had better know a little about mechanical workings of a vehicle and how to DIY repair work or your vehicle is going to get worse quickly.
close to 300,000K you are lucky it is still running and if you were doing up keep on it you should have spent at least 1/2 of what it originally cost to keep it in as new running condition.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Re: Brake Flutter!!??

Any vehicle once you reach 100,000 miles needs more attention to mechanical condition from this point on. And preventative maintenance is very important. When you reach 200,000 you had better know a little about mechanical workings of a vehicle and how to DIY repair work or your vehicle is going to get worse quickly.
close to 300,000K you are lucky it is still running and if you were doing up keep on it you should have spent at least 1/2 of what it originally cost to keep it in as new running condition.

Wow.....were did this come from? I'm just asking for suggestions, not what I should and shouldn't know.

I am a degreed Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer into my 35th year. I purchased this 2001 PT Cruiser with 287,000 miles with a blown head gasket for $1,100. I pulled the head and replaced the gasket for a little under $100. I replaced a few other parts other than just the gasket. I heater core was also bad so I had to remove the entire dash to change out a $40 heater core. Now that's a feat that now just every DIY'er can do. I can do it all! I've never taken a vehicle into a mechanic. Don't trust them and I know the job is done right. I've rebuilt engines, rear ends, automatic transmissions, Harleys, Lasers, Waterjet, CNC mills and Lathes and more.

Based on my past, I'd say it's not a matter that I am lucky. I'd say that I'm at the top of the DIY chain. The reason it is running so well, is that I am good.

So bottom line, I'd appreciate it if just suggestions are given to me. I really am grateful that others have given me very valuable information. Again, I am more capable of doing mechanical and electrical repairs than most mechanics.

Mark
Old 24 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkie74 View Post
Wow.....were did this come from? I'm just asking for suggestions, not what I should and shouldn't know.

I am a degreed Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer into my 35th year. I purchased this 2001 PT Cruiser with 287,000 miles with a blown head gasket for $1,100. I pulled the head and replaced the gasket for a little under $100. I replaced a few other parts other than just the gasket. I heater core was also bad so I had to remove the entire dash to change out a $40 heater core. Now that's a feat that now just every DIY'er can do. I can do it all! I've never taken a vehicle into a mechanic. Don't trust them and I know the job is done right. I've rebuilt engines, rear ends, automatic transmissions, Harleys, Lasers, Waterjet, CNC mills and Lathes and more.

Based on my past, I'd say it's not a matter that I am lucky. I'd say that I'm at the top of the DIY chain. The reason it is running so well, is that I am good.

So bottom line, I'd appreciate it if just suggestions are given to me. I really am grateful that others have given me very valuable information. Again, I am more capable of doing mechanical and electrical repairs than most mechanics.

Mark
Then what so hard about figuring why your brakes flutter?
NitroPT likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh