Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another growly noise...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Another growly noise...

Only when backing up towards the passenger side... a rough, low frequency rumble seemingly coming from the general vicinity of the front, driver's side.

Any hints? Will try to record an audio clip tomorrow...
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another growly noise...

You have rear drums? They "adjust" when you brake backing up.
I know you said it sounds like front...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Oct 2014, 02:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do have rear drums, yep. This sounds like some huge hollow piece of plastic rubbing on something, though...
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you had any work done to replace your CV boots or anything done to the driver's side tire or brakes lately?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I own an '05 Dodge Neon. Yes, I know a Neon is not exactly a PT Cruiser but the motor mounts, torque bars, and transmission mounts are the same.

On the Neon I started hearing exactly the sound you describe when backing up. Since I don't back up all that far most of the time I put it down as something to live with and we just drove the car for a few more years.

One fine day I decided the noise was coming from the CV joints since the car had just over 100.000 miles on it and they had never been changed.

There was never the tell tail clicking noise when turning in the joints but once I had them out of the car they would pull apart very easily so they were most likely toast but just hadn't failed yet.

Then my daughter started driving the Neon most of the time and the noise started happening a lot when driving forward. I concluded that since I could see cracks in the rubber of the torque arms that the motor mounts were probably bad so I ordered a full set of new ones and the transmission mount just to make a clean sweep of it.

The kid was always needing the car to it took me nearly three months to get it away from her long enough that I could work on the car.

I talked my younger brother into stopping by after he got off work to help me. We had a pretty good time getting the center motor mount out and back in but the transmission mount which both of us figured would be really hard went very smoothly once we got the battery plate out.

Now the car goes down the road as quietly as it did when it was new and there is no noise when backing up either.

Since I am on a pretty limited budget I got the cheapest mounts I could find on eBay. I also ordered several tubes of the windshield mounting goop and filled the old torque arms around the old bushings and have them in the garage for just in case the new ones give up before the car is totaled. The original center motor mount and the transmission mount still look like new and I don't know how I could use my windshield glue to try to fix them but I saved them too.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 25 Oct 2014 at 11:43 pm.