Little too much

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2014, 08:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Little too much

Thunking at the axles over rough pavement. Now I've read this section and searched, and know I need lower control arm bushings, would that be all it is ? Or does anyone think I've got more probs... suspensions I know not.
. Any thoughts are appreciated .
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Little too much

That's front - often the rear Watts link (bell crank) also needs attention...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Oct 2014, 10:13 am
Cool Cruiser

I had the same issue a couple of years ago in the front. Clunking and thumping lol.

I replaced the front LCA bushings with the poly ones from energy suspension. Also, the front sway bar bushings with the Polyurethane ones.

It did away with all the front end noise....

http://www.summitracing.com/search/s...del/pt-cruiser

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 28 Oct 2014, 10:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Had the same problem about a month ago.....culprit was a totally gone rubber bushing on the front sway bar.....shopped replaced both for just $60.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks all, nice to hear similar ! always loved company
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sway bar is famous for this.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Little too much

First thing I'd check would be the stabilizer bar clamps;Especially if you live in Northern climates that salt their roads,as the mounting bolts have a tendency to rust and the bolt heads can then break off,creating a resounding 'Thunk' when hitting bumps.
The next culprit could be the stabilizer bar bushings themselves being worn out from age and/or milage.....The stock bushings are made of rubber,and road salt can also cause them to deteriorate faster than in Southern areas.
Then I'd move on to the stabilizer bar end links,as they can also rust and break off,or their bushings can wear out/deteriorate.
TIP: When planning on working on ANY of the above,I highly recommend saturating ALL bolts & nuts with PB Blaster 1st!,and even then,you could still end up twisting off the head of a bolt(Having to extract broken bolts,and maybe even drill & tap is a PITA!).......Personally I say more PB Blaster =

Here are a couple of good threads w/photos you can use for reference:

What's this broken wheel/suspension thingy???
rusty anti-sway bar link bolt
Busted_PT and JoeX like this.