PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
control arm bushings

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Nov 2014, 11:52 pm
edscrz's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 106
Default control arm bushings

My mechanic showed me the bushings are out of the arms and need to be replaced quoted me $524 to replace bushings. Does the price seem right?
__________________
edscrz
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 08:01 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,891
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
My mechanic showed me the bushings are out of the arms and need to be replaced quoted me $524 to replace bushings. Does the price seem right?
depends on what he is providing. But you would be better off buying your own and make sure your getting the new spherical bushing. Either by getting the bushing or whole arm.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 10:14 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
My mechanic showed me the bushings are out of the arms and need to be replaced quoted me $524 to replace bushings. Does the price seem right?
The bushings are relatively cheap and a lot of it is labor since the lower control arms have to be removed to replace the bushings. I saved some money on the labor by providing to my mechanic complete new MOOG control arms ready to install once he had the old ones removed. But their new style bushings weren't available at the time, but you can get them now, so that would be the ones to go with. The advantage of the new control arm assembly is that you also get new ball joints. Your shop price should also include a front alignment that will be required after the front end work is done.

OEM style:


New MOOG Spherical type:
myckee likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Nov 2014 at 10:19 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 11:36 am
edscrz's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 106
Default Re: control arm bushings

Where can I purchase the Moog control arms and what is the cost?
__________________
edscrz
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:05 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
Where can I purchase the Moog control arms and what is the cost?
There are lots of sources, I got mine off Amazon that had free shipping. Whatever your source, be sure that you have them verify that they do indeed have the NEW spherical bushing as there are still controls arms in the supply chain, under the same part number, that have the OLD style (OEM) type bushing.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 04:58 pm
SPLNeon's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 712
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
There are lots of sources, I got mine off Amazon that had free shipping. Whatever your source, be sure that you have them verify that they do indeed have the NEW spherical bushing as there are still controls arms in the supply chain, under the same part number, that have the OLD style (OEM) type bushing.
How do the the new style Bushings compare to Prothane bushings?!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 05:07 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,629
Default Re: control arm bushings

I didn't know they had made a better rear bushing. I already have new arms with the old bushing, but if they ever fail I will make sure to buy these new ones.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 06:36 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
How do the the new style Bushings compare to Prothane bushings?!
I can't answer that, I have no experience with Prothane products.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 06:58 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,791
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
How do the the new style Bushings compare to Prothane bushings?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I didn't know they had made a better rear bushing. I already have new arms with the old bushing, but if they ever fail I will make sure to buy these new ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I can't answer that, I have no experience with Prothane products.


The OEM rubber bushing are a hardness of between 65-75 durometer and Polyurethane for street application is around 75-80. You will get better ride control generally with a harder bushing either rubber or polyurethane. However it is much harder to find suppliers of OEM replacement rubber bushing with a choice of durometer hardness. like you can with polyurethane.

myckee I am not sure what you mean you have new control arms on the rear? The re-axle assembly is a complete unit with welded control arms and rubber bushed ends. Maybe you meant the watts link rods?
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Nov 2014 at 07:05 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2014, 08:11 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,891
Default Re: control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The OEM rubber bushing are a hardness of between 65-75 durometer and Polyurethane for street application is around 75-80. You will get better ride control generally with a harder bushing either rubber or polyurethane. However it is much harder to find suppliers of OEM replacement rubber bushing with a choice of durometer hardness. like you can with polyurethane.

myckee I am not sure what you mean you have new control arms on the rear? The re-axle assembly is a complete unit with welded control arms and rubber bushed ends. Maybe you meant the watts link rods?
I think he means the rear bushing on the front control arm.
myckee likes this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control arm bushings cowboyinboxers Tech & Performance Forum 11 04 Mar 2014 03:27 pm
Control Arm Bushings jaspersnowstorm Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 5 27 Sep 2010 10:00 am
control arm bushings? nhdriver Tech & Performance Forum 8 09 May 2009 04:33 pm
control arm bushings 4SPEED Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 1 28 Apr 2007 08:41 am
Control arm bushings Goldenturtle02 Wheels, Tires, Suspension 0 08 Sep 2004 08:40 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors