PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New owner with replacement brakes questions

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2014, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question New owner with replacement brakes questions

I picked up an 05 cruiser with 65k miles and the brakes need to be replaced. There are a lot of choices on rockauto. With and without abs, rear drum or disc. Are the rotors different sizes depending on rear setup type. Mine has front disc/rear drum setup without ABS. Some listings say for 4 wheel disc and others don't. Are the rotors different sizes?
Old 05 Nov 2014, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New owner with replacement brakes questions

How's about a few more vehicle details?....GT or na?
Am I missing something? If you have rear brake drums, you do not have any rotors in the rear....only the fronts like my 2006 base model had.

Upgrading to rear discs is another issue that there are experts here to tell you about.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Nov 2014, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New owner with replacement brakes questions

rotors are the same except in the turbo and I think they are a little bigger( but it could be that its the calibers that are bigger not sure) just make sure that you get the set that is for YOUR PT------ mine is a 06 Non Turbo disk in frount drum in rear (just like yours) I put a set of slotted and drilled rotors in the frount with cermanic pads--like nitro will tell you most of the rotors are made in china but they do seem to be a pretty good quality
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure about GT or na. It says touring on the back. It is not a turbo model if that is what you meant by NA. It seems like it is the most basic version you can get. When I read the owners manual it had no optional features that I could see.

To be more specific Are the front rotor sizes the same between the 4 wheel disc and the disc/drum setups?
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkboy15 View Post
Not sure about GT or na. It says touring on the back. It is not a turbo model if that is what you meant by NA. It seems like it is the most basic version you can get. When I read the owners manual it had no optional features that I could see.

To be more specific Are the front rotor sizes the same between the 4 wheel disc and the disc/drum setups?
Yes. Only difference is that turbo rotors are thicker.
Front pads are the same size for any PT.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

JMO but id get ceramic pads
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

id agree no break dust to clean off the wheels
Old 05 Nov 2014, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Thanks for the info. Fronts are same size pads and rotors except for turbo models.

I am getting ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Still looking around but it seems like I can get them for ~$100.

I am also doing the rear drums, shoes and hardware. It looks like I need the smaller size drums and shoes since I do not have ABS.
Old 05 Nov 2014, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Roughly 80% of your braking is done in the front.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Nov 2014, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I know. The rear brakes are kind of loud to me. They look fine though. Going to replace everything anyway for piece of mind.