PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking for a deal on 2 tires

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2014, 08:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Looking for a deal on 2 tires

I usually get my tires at discount tire but trying to find a better deal since my car needs other work. I have two kind of new Yokohama 580's on the back but need two for the front before the snow. Discount tire said 378 for 2 of the same tires.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...516&vid=007766

I have a friend that works at a tire shop NTB. He can give me a discount and suggested Sumitomo HTR A/S tires. $240 total for two tires.
http://ntb.com/tires/sku-detail/Sumi...skuId=sku21069

Another place called Mr Tire suggested the Goodyear Eagle GT. Total for two tires is 280 and he said I should get a wheel alignment for $50 which is $50 off the normal price of a $100. Not sure if the other shops do that when they put tires on and or if it's necessary. He also said the PT tires are harder to find these days.
http://ntb.com/tires/sku-detail/Sumi...skuId=sku21069

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by ew55; 08 Nov 2014 at 08:06 am.
Old 08 Nov 2014, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for a deal on 2 tires

I like to have all my tires the same. Here's what a complete set of Goodyear Eagles cost me for my 2001 Limited:

Old 08 Nov 2014, 08:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I like to have all my tires the same. Here's what a complete set of Goodyear Eagles cost me for my 2001 Limited:

Damn that's cheap. That was another question about getting different tires. I feel the same way just don't feel like spending $380. The dicount tire guy said he could work with me a little. I wonder if my friend could order the Y/K 580's at cost and put them on for me. Guess I should call him and ask. I do like paying the $15 insurance at discount tire per tire so if anything goes wrong they will swap them out. I did that with my other two tires 5 months ago. They split in the middle a little. Does tire shine cause that or just happens? Maybe I didn't keep the right tire pressure all the time.
Old 08 Nov 2014, 08:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Just got discount tire down to $300 for the YK 580 over the phone. That's 80 off the first price they gave me (different location). lol Thinking on pulling the trigger on it. He said $50 for a alignment if needed and I guess the send you to Midas.
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was extremely disappointed with the Good-for-a-Years on both my PTs.
I never go for lowest cost on tires or brakes - too important.
I did find good prices from TireRack.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Last time (about two years ago) I bought 4 tires from "Tire Buyer" I picked them up at my local tire store who put them on and balanced them and the car was shaking. After numerous tries of balancing, the tire store found a tire Out-of-Round and couldn't be balanced properly. I called Tire Buyer, who sent me a form to fill out and emailed it back. They came to the store and picked up the bad tire and replaced it. Meanwhile we were riding around with the shake and after putting on the new tire found it IT ALSO was Out-of-Round and wouldn't balance. Had to do the whole procedure again with verification that the tire was bad from the tire store. Again they sent a new tire a couple days later and finally it was all good. What a PITA that was. Will never deal with Tire Buyer again. 4 Tires from Tire Rack for the Corvette and no problems.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew55 View Post
Just got discount tire down to $300 for the YK 580 over the phone. That's 80 off the first price they gave me (different location). lol Thinking on pulling the trigger on it. He said $50 for a alignment if needed and I guess the send you to Midas.
Looks like they are trying to match their ebay price. The two tires are 275 (including tax) shipped to your door. If you can get your buddy to balance for free, then you will save by buying them on ebay. You might be able to get them to price match their own price from ebay too and get them right away.

2 New 205 50 17 Yokohama YK580 50R R17 Tires | eBay
Old 08 Nov 2014, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Nov 2014, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What I do is go to Discount Tire and ask for written estimate. Then I go to another tire shop like Just Tires and ask if they can beat the price and they usually do with a written estimate. Then I go back to Discount Tire and see if they can beat it. I usually get my tires at Just Tires with free mount and balance so they can get my business as they have a sign that says "We will beat any competition price".
Old 08 Nov 2014, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I like to go to the Track on open class days and see similar vehicles are using and talk to the owners about their impression of the tires they use. Than I carefully examine the wear and vehicle condition. You get a real world and eye opener of a better choice in tires to use.

If you can't get to a track visit many other forums see what every buddy likes and why. Mustang and Corvette forums have a wealth of good information. IMO PT Cruiser forum not so much because PT owners tend to buy a set of tires for life...LOL

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN