Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise when I go over bumps in the front

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2014, 08:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Noise when I go over bumps in the front

I'm hearing a noise in the front when I hit bumps. I'm thinking I need to replace the shock/strut. Would this Monroe complete assembly work and or good product/price? What would be a good price for a mechanic to install two?
Monroe Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly 181592: Choose the best Shock/Strut - Front at Advance Auto Parts

thanks
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noise when I go over bumps in the front

Have you looked at your sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushings? They are more likely to clunk.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Nov 2014, 07:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you looked at your sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushings? They are more likely to clunk.
Not yet but I will. Thanks Is that a pricey fix?
Old 08 Nov 2014, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Both sides of my lower control arms are shot,they both clunk,sometimes in stereo..
Easy to spot,jack up the side you think the noise is coming from and look for a round rubber bushing on the rear of the arm,it looks torn and mangled when its bad,if its time for ball joints just replace the whole arm assy...I've read that the front bushing doesn't wear as bad..
A soon to be project for me...
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The sway bar is famous for the mounting bushing to be loose allowing the bar to move around. Had the torn control arm bushings without much if any noise. x2 on the swaybar.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Nov 2014, 08:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Doing my LCA bushings Thursday. I expect to pay $350 Canadian. In the states it will be more because you guys seem only to pay retail, up here Ill throw in a quart of maple syrup, 3 beaver pelts and a decent wood splitter
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Doing my LCA bushings Thursday. I expect to pay $350 Canadian. In the states it will be more because you guys seem only to pay retail, up here Ill throw in a quart of maple syrup, 3 beaver pelts and a decent wood splitter
And a bucket of tar sand...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Noise when I go over bumps in the front

Quote:
Make it a beaver hat, and we'll do "Cap & Trade"!

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 09 Nov 2014, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

What I didn't disclose is the wood splitter is actually the mother in law. She's Russian and can field dress a caribou inside an hour with a pair of nail clippers, a roll of paper towel and a smile.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
What I didn't disclose is the wood splitter is actually the mother in law. She's Russian and can field dress a caribou inside an hour with a pair of nail clippers, a roll of paper towel and a smile.
My condolences.....