Advertisements
Help Front thumping noise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help Front thumping noise

Hello. I have a 2003 pt cruiser gt turbo with 106k on it. I love the car but this noise is driving me crazy. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. It occurs at all speeds. It sounds like it's coming from both front wheels when they go over a bump or any change in road. It sounds like something is literally pounding on the floor pretty hard. It is like a thump on the floor. Steering wheel doesn't seem to be affected. I have been chasing this forever and here is what I replaced already. Balls joints (twice to make sure) lower control arms tie rod ends sway bar bushings(ends) every bearing on car both front and rear shocks struts. Lower motor mount And also had it aligned. I am totally stumped but I really want to fix this to have a quiet driver for the winter. Anyone's help would be great. Thanks.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help Front thumping noise

You've sure spent a lot on parts, and seem to have covered most common causes - have you had a mechanic look at it and test drive it???

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have taken it to my mechanic that does all my work on every car I have ever owned and never ever had a problem that he couldn't fix the first time. Then I took it to sears for the alignment and told them to fix it. They replaced the ball joints again and then gave up. Now I'm stuck with the car and tons of money into it and I just want it fixed.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Trans mount..??
Other than that...I would shake the exhaust from the header to the rear bumper.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried the exhaust thing already. But the reason I don't think it is any Trans or motor mounts is because I can go up a curb with the right wheel and hear the noise and then go up the curb with the left wheel only and hear it again. So it is something that is connecting both wheels I am thinking at least.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Do you have a strut bar installed under your hood? Sounds like it could be bouncing for some reason when the wheels move and hitting the hood. just an idea.

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't say you replaced the sway bar mounting bushings. Not the end links. But the ones that hold the bar up.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com