PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Angry growl from power steering

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2014, 09:44 am
Young Cruiser

Default Angry growl from power steering

Hi, my Cruiser has an angry growl and is noisy. The fluid in the resivoir is normal and during a belt/water pump job I replaced the pump - it is still as noisy as before. What am I missing here? The steering is unaffected by this as an FYI just irritatingly noisy
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Angry growl from power steering

your kitty needs a steak
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
Hi, my Cruiser has an angry growl and is noisy. The fluid in the resivoir is normal and during a belt/water pump job I replaced the pump - it is still as noisy as before. What am I missing here? The steering is unaffected by this as an FYI just irritatingly noisy
I'm told there are two pumps. But given the fact nothing changed. If you flushed the fluid then your looking at a rack replacement. Short of someone with better knowledge giving you a better answer.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Nov 2014, 11:00 am
Young Cruiser

A steak through the radiator perhaps ! I just found a thread on this and I'll post the link for those who stumble here first. Basically it boils down to a clogged screen in the reservoir and Chrysler wants us to use ATF+4 instead of power steering fluid. I will get a new reservoir and flush the system and report back on this, stay tuned... Power steering growl...the fix???

Last edited by glassbuggy; 25 Nov 2014 at 11:58 am.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
A steak through the radiator perhaps ! I just found a thread on this and I'll post the link for those who stumble on this one first. Basically it boils down to a clogged screen in the reservoir and Chrysler wants use to use ATF+4 instead of power steering fluid. I will get a new reservoir and flush the system and report back on this, stay tuned...
You can back flush the screen in the reservoir. You will still have to remove to do it. Mine had power steering fluid in it from the factory(04) model. I put atf back in. Will be looking for the results of your fix.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok so lets get some Cruisers a good DIY on this issue as I cannot be the only one. First of all this reservoir is 91 bucks at the local Dodge place - not my idea of something to blow money on, so lets clean this out hands on.

I went to a you pull it and grabbed a reservoir cheap and decided to experiment. With a long drift sharpened I was able to remove the tangs that hold the lid onto the cup, there is a rubber seal between that. here is the view inside, as you can see this screen is extremely fine mesh and cakes up with muck.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by glassbuggy; 04 Dec 2014 at 05:44 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:42 pm
Young Cruiser

To get the filter out of the cup one must realize Chrysler preferred you buy a new one, I'm old school, I drilled out the three crimps with a 3/16 bit , I am going to rejoin it with special pop rivets later

I'm having trouble posting pics and maybe its because I'm a PT noob but stay with me...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you try removing the gunk from the mesh with brake cleaner?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:53 pm
Young Cruiser

I made a puller to lift the filter up out of the cup, it worked great - too good actually because being untested I ened up putting the bolts right through the mesh screening.

At this point I am at a standstill till the weekend and will make some mods to the process and apply it to my cars own reservoir

Consider this a teaser and I'll do a better pictorial shortly - this is defiantly doable for us diy guys/gals

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:55 pm
Young Cruiser

yes and the brake cleaner seems to want to work but my can was about empty and I felt the filter needs to be accessed from underneath to be fruitful at this repair