Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does it matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2004, 08:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Does it matter?

Does it matter which strut bar you buy? There are so many.
For an N/A PT.

http://www.raceandstreet.com/ptsuspension02/
http://www.pt-tuning.com/performance...hockBrace.html
http://www.revelenterprises.com/pt_c...ubcategory.htm
Old 29 Apr 2004, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

KingKole,

They all do the same thing...and IMHO they work. Just depends on what you want it to look like. I have the solid bar from Race & Street and had it painted. The GT has to have a completely different bar and I believe there's only one available.

Come to think about it. I think I've read where one of them doesn't fit the earlier non-turbo models with the vanity plate, of course they all will fit without the plate, so if you have one check before ordering.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

What the difference between ones that have 2 mounts on the strut tower rather then 3?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

What the difference between ones that have 2 mounts on the strut tower rather then 3?
One more mount!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

One with the more mounts has more tension stenght doesn't it? That what I meant.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know what you meant...just joking around with ya. Mine has only 2 mounts and it seems to work just fine. Along with the bottom strut bar they're just supposed to keep the struts aligned so there's less body roll for better cornering. Now unless your into the Rally Sport thing and taking corners at full throttle, I can't see where there would be a big difference between 2 or 3 mounts. Anyone else with a comment?

Quote from Race & Street: A chrome moly rod that connects the two front shock absorbers [under the hood] and forces them to work in tandem like a single unit. Again the key to good handling is stability. The brace adds stability while not noticeably changing the ride characteristics. It works AND it looks cool too!

Old 29 Apr 2004, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have an '02 or older, the "modesty cover" which Crewzin has, is cleared better by some bars than others. Also, some are straight across, others bend back to firewall. 2 bolts are enough, IMHO.
Do a search on PTEnthusiasts.org on strut bars - I remember some hit the hood!
I hve one from pro-felge, out of aluminum - it's drawback is that it is had to get at the overflow filler for antifreeze back at the firewall.
Some are painted steel, some are stainless steel, mine's aluminum...

I don't thik there are any complaints about the Freedom design.

One tip - GO EASY on the strut bolts - easy to snap or strip them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Apr 2004, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

If you have an '02 or older, the "modesty cover" which Crewzin has, is cleared better by some bars than others. Also, some are straight across, others bend back to firewall. 2 bolts are enough, IMHO.
Do a search on PTEnthusiasts.org on strut bars - I remember some hit the hood!
I hve one from pro-felge, out of aluminum - it's drawback is that it is had to get at the overflow filler for antifreeze back at the firewall.
Some are painted steel, some are stainless steel, mine's aluminum...

I don't thik there are any complaints about the Freedom design.

One tip - GO EASY on the strut bolts - easy to snap or strip them.
I have a '02 w/o modesty cover, and installed btg's "Super Cell" strut bar (3 hole). The installation guide recommends torquing strut bolts to 25 ft/lbs.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 10:54 am
Senior Cruiser

I thought about revelenterprises because they have the freedom design bar for 80 before shipping.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

KingKole, I thought you had a GT?