PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Monroe Sensa-Trac/OESpectrum Review

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2014, 11:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Monroe Sensa-Trac/OESpectrum Review

I put the Monroes on all 4 corners 3,000-5,000 miles ago. The car rides smoother than it did at 43,000 miles and it still handles like a go-kart.

I also replaced both control arms, rear springs, rear spring insulators, and rear jounce bumpers.

The Quick-Struts were kind of stiff at first but I think it's just because the springs needed to settle.

I also got 4 new tires since I've got less than 2/32nd's on the current ones. I'll probably post a review after I mount them. They're the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 11:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Monroe Sensa-Trac/OESpectrum Review

Based on the recommendation of a friend/Auto Center owner, I'm putting Monroe Econo-Matic complete strut assembly up front and Monroe Sensa-Trac in the back. I have a very knowledgeable and generous neighbor who has volunteered his talents and tools to get the job done at home and save me about $700 off garage quotes. I'm very excited about doing this (I'm a mechanical newbie); and I want to be prepared.
Do I need to order the rear suspension bumper
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts & Accessories | OEM Mopar Parts | ChryslerParts.net
or is that something that we'll have to see when we get under the car?
Just want to be ready; and not waste any of my neighbor's time.
Thanks! Ordering parts soon - great prices at Advance Auto - I'll post when I place the order; but this will happen after I look into warm air coming from my a/c vents - for another thread.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 08:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Great review... So I think the price of the kit is well worth it right?
Old 12 Feb 2015, 11:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Slowrider may have answered my question on the bumpers in his post... inexpensive enough to grab and have on hand if needed.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 08:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Slowrider may have answered my question on the bumpers in his post... inexpensive enough to grab and have on hand if needed.
That's what I thought....
PGBCruiser likes this.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Based on the recommendation of a friend/Auto Center owner, I'm putting Monroe Econo-Matic complete strut assembly up front and Monroe Sensa-Trac in the back. I have a very knowledgeable and generous neighbor who has volunteered his talents and tools to get the job done at home and save me about $700 off garage quotes. I'm very excited about doing this (I'm a mechanical newbie); and I want to be prepared.
Do I need to order the rear suspension bumper
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts & Accessories | OEM Mopar Parts | ChryslerParts.net
or is that something that we'll have to see when we get under the car?
Just want to be ready; and not waste any of my neighbor's time.
Thanks! Ordering parts soon - great prices at Advance Auto - I'll post when I place the order; but this will happen after I look into warm air coming from my a/c vents - for another thread.
You really don't need to replace the rear jounce bumpers unless they're deteriorated. I just replaced mine because I was replacing the whole suspension. I figured why not.
PGBCruiser likes this.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtime View Post
Great review... So I think the price of the kit is well worth it right?
It wasn't a kit. I had to buy everything separately. If I remember correctly, I paid approximately $500 for everything on rockauto.com. I installed everything myself and aligned it at work so I didn't have to pay anybody labor.

But ya it was worth it.
Old 04 Mar 2015, 12:11 am
Regular Cruiser

UPDATE!
I found the left front strut to be defective. The problem was that when I shifted from drive to reverse and turned the wheel, it would make a noise.

The other day at work, I decided to ask someone who did front-end work about the noise. After 5 minutes we found the popping noise to be caused by the driver side strut. When I thought about it, it made the noise immediately after replacing the front struts. I didn't think the noise was coming from the struts because they were brand new and everything else that was connected to the wheel was the same age of the vehicle. I had also tightened all of the bolts to specification.

I called Monroe to warranty it and went through their automated answering system. It basically said I had to call the retailer I bought the struts from. So I called RockAuto and they told me to purchase another strut, put the old one back in the box, and they will refund the money for the new strut.

So right now I'm waiting on a new strut.

I will check back here to say if the problem was fixed.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What are the best shocks/struts to use on my 05 GT vert? It seem like most folks like the monroes. Are the economatics better or the sensa traks? Mine rides a little rough/stiff and I'd like a smoother ride. thanks.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 10:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm not sure what the best shocks for your PT are. Everybody has their own preferences when it comes to ride and handling. From what I researched prior to my purchase, the KYB's are a little stiffer than the Monroes. Some people prefer tight handling. My goal was the smoothest ride possible.

I would say that the Sensa-Tracs are better than the Econo-Matics because the Econo-Matics are marketed as their economy strut/shock.

I had to warranty one of my struts twice because the first one was making noise and riding rough and the second one was leaking. I put the 3rd one on today at work. I plan on aligning it next week even though the steering wheel is level. It's funny how each time I put a new strut on it, it gets even smoother. I now have the torque specs memorized because I've replaced the strut so many times lol. Hopefully the 3rd time's the charm but I'm going to keep an eye on it.
Strut to knuckle: 120 FT LBS.
Strut to tower: 19 FT LBS.
Ground strap to strut: 120 INCH LBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman View Post
What are the best shocks/struts to use on my 05 GT vert? It seem like most folks like the monroes. Are the economatics better or the sensa traks? Mine rides a little rough/stiff and I'd like a smoother ride. thanks.
rockandroller likes this.