PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd question - but is it possible?

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Default Odd question - but is it possible?

So I was thinking earlier, could I raise the suspension on my PT without having to get a lift kit? I'm looking for 1-2" lift and was wondering if a stronger spring for each corner or something you slip into the spring to keep it from compressing as much (I know it from NASCAR, just can't think of the name right now) would work? I'm assuming the car doesn't sit at full height while sitting still because a.) it still has the original shocks and struts and might be slightly saggy, and b.) the weight of the car.

What would be my cheapest way of going about this?

p.s I posted this in the turbo suspension column by accident earlier
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

http://www.autozone.com/truck-access...spring-booster
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2015, 11:14 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,891
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick83 View Post
So I was thinking earlier, could I raise the suspension on my PT without having to get a lift kit? I'm looking for 1-2" lift and was wondering if a stronger spring for each corner or something you slip into the spring to keep it from compressing as much (I know it from NASCAR, just can't think of the name right now) would work? I'm assuming the car doesn't sit at full height while sitting still because a.) it still has the original shocks and struts and might be slightly saggy, and b.) the weight of the car.

What would be my cheapest way of going about this?

p.s I posted this in the turbo suspension column by accident earlier
The PT notoriously sets high. So to be saggy. I'm thinking it's been lowered. Without seeing it. Only a guess. You may need only to put stock springs back on. The newer springs on modern cars don't tend to sag over time. Not to the point you see it. Post a picture.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The PT notoriously sets high. So to be saggy. I'm thinking it's been lowered. Without seeing it. Only a guess. You may need only to put stock springs back on. The newer springs on modern cars don't tend to sag over time. Not to the point you see it. Post a picture.
Well it's pretty rough over the bumps, especially in the front. I'm not sure if the springs are warped and worn from supporting the weight or the shocks have lost a little gas in the past decade. I feel like the latter is more probable. And yeah, I just stopped into AutoZone and the guy recommended the spring boosters, will be getting those soon
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Post a picture.
Apologies for the double post, but you really can't see it sitting lower honestly. I haven't seen enough 2003 Cruiser Touring's to be able to judge, although the rear sits just a little higher than it should with where the front sits (kind of got the reverse-gangster lean going on). It just feels like the range of compression when going over bumps, especially speed bumps, is more than it should be. Plus they make some squeaky noises that I'm always asked about!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 09:32 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,891
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick83 View Post
Apologies for the double post, but you really can't see it sitting lower honestly. I haven't seen enough 2003 Cruiser Touring's to be able to judge, although the rear sits just a little higher than it should with where the front sits (kind of got the reverse-gangster lean going on). It just feels like the range of compression when going over bumps, especially speed bumps, is more than it should be. Plus they make some squeaky noises that I'm always asked about!
Plenty of stock PTs on this forum. Squeeks sounds like urethane bushings. If so may have been lowered as well. Sid pic could tell us. The conditions just don't happen on a stock PT. I had them with more than 200K and not behave as you describe. They do have a lower in the front stance by nature. Sometimes some lower them and still have the rake. most go foe the level look.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 09:47 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,794
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

There are several ways just to measure the static height, which is the first place to start for those that know a little about suspensions to give advise.
Measure on level ground from the center line of each wheel to the center of the fender.

In the early years Chrysler sent a questionnaire to many owners about impression of the PT Cruiser. For ride quality many complained enough about it that they made changes. One of those changes served to cut back cost of model production as well soften the ride.

Never the less PT Cruisers are not Cadillac's when it to road noise and finding all the road imperfections.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Jan 2015 at 09:50 am.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 10:26 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick83 View Post
Well it's pretty rough over the bumps, especially in the front. I'm not sure if the springs are warped and worn from supporting the weight or the shocks have lost a little gas in the past decade. I feel like the latter is more probable. And yeah, I just stopped into AutoZone and the guy recommended the spring boosters, will be getting those soon
Okay, you asked about raising it, and I answered, but if you're doing it for a better ride, that won't be your answer.
Your shocks are probably toast.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2015, 11:46 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,401
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Here's some stuff to check first.

1. Check to see if the control arm bushings are bad on the front. These are the back bushings on the front control arms. Once they let go, the control arm can move front to back and up and down. It will often rattle or bump when going over a hump or pot hole in the road.

2. Check the struts. And easiest way is to push down on a fender and then let go. Good struts will let the car rebound without a lot of up and down bouncing. Bad struts will often let the car bounce up and down. Look for oil leaks on the struts too.

3. Look for other worn out bushings. Sway bar bushings have a tendency to wear badly on some cars. PT's with rear sway bars will often have bad sway bar bushing that squeak.

4. Check out your tires and alignment. Tires can make a HUGE difference in the ride of a little small car like the PT.

Overall, you could foreseeably overhaul the entire PT suspension for not too much money. You can buy new front struts with the coils already on them. And complete bushing set for entire suspension can be bought for less than $200. And rear struts and new rear coils are pretty cheap too. Here's a quick parts list with some popular brands. Not the cheapest.

2x MONROE FRONT STRUT W/COIL SPRING Part # 181592 $69.79 ($139.58)
2X MONROE REAR SHOCK Part # 5989 $26.79 ($53.58)
MOOG REAR COIL SPRING SET Part # 81053 $33.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM LEFT Part # CK620009..$58.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM RIGHT Part # CK620010..$58.79
Energy Suspension 5.18108G Master Bushing Kit for Pt Cruiser $113.98

Total is $458.51. Everything but the bushing kit would come from RockAuto with no tax and likely no shipping charge. You can also get 5% off this with a discount code. The busing kit is from Amazon and the shipping is free for me because I have Prime. The bushing kit would have extra pieces that already come on some of the new parts. But overall, it's likely cheapest to get the whole kit and use what you need. Softer butyl rubber bushings might help the ride more than these performance bushings. The part numbers here fit a 2005 PT GT. Your mileage may vary.

In summary, if you can do the work yourself you can basically replace the entire suspension of a PT Cruiser for about $500. There might be a item or two I missed. I'm sure others will let you know about those.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jan 2015 at 01:13 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Jan 2015, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Default Re: Odd question - but is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's some stuff to check first.

1. Check to see if the control arm bushings are bad on the front. These are the back bushings on the front control arms. Once they let go, the control arm can move front to back and up and down. It will often rattle or bump when going over a hump or pot hole in the road.

2. Check the struts. And easiest way is to push down on a fender and then let go. Good struts will let the car rebound without a lot of up and down bouncing. Bad struts will often let the car bounce up and down. Look for oil leaks on the struts too.

3. Look for other worn out bushings. Sway bar bushings have a tendency to wear badly on some cars. PT's with rear sway bars will often have bad sway bar bushing that squeak.

4. Check out your tires and alignment. Tires can make a HUGE difference in the ride of a little small car like the PT.

Overall, you could foreseeably overhaul the entire PT suspension for not too much money. You can buy new front struts with the coils already on them. And complete bushing set for entire suspension can be bought for less than $200. And rear struts and new rear coils are pretty cheap too. Here's a quick parts list with some popular brands. Not the cheapest.

2x MONROE FRONT STRUT W/COIL SPRING Part # 181592 $69.79 ($139.58)
2X MONROE REAR SHOCK Part # 5989 $26.79 ($53.58)
MOOG REAR COIL SPRING SET Part # 81053 $33.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM LEFT Part # CK620009..$58.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM RIGHT Part # CK620010..$58.79
Energy Suspension 5.18108G Master Bushing Kit for Pt Cruiser $113.98

Total is $458.51. Everything but the bushing kit would come from RockAuto with no tax and likely no shipping charge. You can also get 5% off this with a discount code. The busing kit is from Amazon and the shipping is free for me because I have Prime. The bushing kit would have extra pieces that already come on some of the new parts. But overall, it's likely cheapest to get the whole kit and use what you need. Softer butyl rubber bushings might help the ride more than these performance bushings. The part numbers here fit a 2005 PT GT. Your mileage may vary.

In summary, if you can do the work yourself you can basically replace the entire suspension of a PT Cruiser for about $500. There might be a item or two I missed. I'm sure others will let you know about those.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into those shocks and struts. I'm pretty sure I could do most by myself, but some I'll have to take to a shop for. Either way that's a really affordable way to do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
:question:daytime running lights!!!:question: jrs61282 Tech & Performance Forum 10 07 Nov 2010 10:53 pm
Luggage Rack question and trailer hitch question Patrick_Dickey General PT Cruiser Discussions 5 26 Apr 2009 09:19 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors